Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

It is unbelievably frustrating to be an environmentally aware teenager in today’s American society. In this day and age, people are beginning to truly grasp the impact of modern industry and technology and its consequences on the planet. As more and more information and statistics are being revealed about the current climate change, the more and more glaringly obvious it should be that the world is experiencing a global warming more drastic than any other warming trend in natural history. Countries throughout the world are beginning to take steps in an effort to help combat global warming, including more fuel-efficient cars to researching alternative fuels.

There is, unfortunately, one glaring exception—the United States. Compared to other modern countries, the United States lags far behind when it comes to efforts to be more environmentally friendly. Astoundingly, there is a significant portion of Americans who still do not believe that global warming is true. Of course, those who do understand the threat and yet still do nothing are the ones who are the true problem. As a high school student, I come in contact with such people quite often. It is frustrating because I can only sit back and watch helplessly as American leaders make the choices my generation will have to deal with in the future. Right now, all we can do is try to educate others of the importance of the small but significant acts of recycling, conserving energy or fuel, among other ways. Of course, in a society of wastefulness and roads dominated by gas-guzzling SUVS, this can be harder than it should be, even among teenage peers.

Even if other countries are diligent in their efforts to rely more on renewable fuels and other means of becoming more environmentally friendly, one country can ruin the entire thing. The United States is far behind in terms of fuel-efficiency or just lessening the progress of global warming in general. It is frustrating to see this, particularly as my generation is the one that will inherit the whole mess, unless people are willing to change and turn things around. I would rather not have to deal with a world with a ruined environment. So, it is important to do one’s part, and teach others to do so as well, Perhaps by doing so, the message will spread and leaders will have to take steps in the right direction if there is hope for a greener, more environmentally-aware United States.