Elephant Poaching | Teen Ink

Elephant Poaching

June 7, 2016
By nickyb04358 BRONZE, South China, Maine
nickyb04358 BRONZE, South China, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What do you think is one of the most poached animals on the planet?Well, if you didn’t know, it’s an elephant. There are about 25,000 - 35,000 elephants getting killed annually. Also, about 104 die a day. In the 1980s, there were 100,000 killed. Not only that, but 80% of the herds were lost in some of the regions.That was some pretty sad stuff, but there’s more to come. My point is, we need to do more to help end elephant poaching.

At least some people are trying to help. It does help that Obama destroyed the US reserve for elephant tusks, to help stop elephant trade. Also, a man named Gary Roberts traveled to Africa to help the elephants, because he heard of a mass killing near a village. He didn’t only help that, he stayed and helped hundreds of elephants.There’s also places for elephants, like Zakuma National Park, in Africa. It has a giant area guarded and monitored by the WildLife Conservation Society.


There are many ways people kill elephants; from putting cyanide on watermelons, to using big guns like AK47s, spears, machetes, they also even use helicopters to find them. They will literally do anything to eliminate these majestic animals. In a place called Chad, ivory sells for $40 dollars a kilo. Also in China, one tusk sells for $2,000! Just think about all that $2,000 for a life; that’s dumb. That’s why you should help, so poachers can’t kill a 10,000 pound elephant for $2,000. 
 

A elephant can do some amazing things, like suck in two gallons of water at a time. Also, it’s trunk is 7 feet long, and they use it as a snorkel underwater. It also sucks dust in, and blows it out. One elephant eats 300 pounds of food a day.They use their tusks to hug by wrapping them together.


So if we, the people, don’t do something quick, elephants will be gone forever. Think about that. Not being able to show your children or grandchildren a beautiful creature, like the elephant. Remember this, these creatures are the biggest walking thing on this planet; and they might be gone forever just for some money. If you want to help donate go to the AWF website and you can donate money for helping the elephants. You tell me, do you want to help, or see these beautiful creatures gone forever….?


The author's comments:

It's about elephants.