Mecca | Teen Ink

Mecca

As farfetched as it may sound, my life would be an empty void had it not been discovered, built, and run. Some believe nature can bring humans back to their natural instincts, and induce a peaceful state of mind. For me Mt. Ashland is my Mecca. As I round that final corner and see its sunlit peak, and that humongous god-awful weather ball, can only bring tears of joy.
My earliest memories are of its bitter snowfalls, each flake biting into my cheeks like small daggers. Yet I enjoy every moment. I would give anything in the world to sit on its peak in the early morning. When most are still asleep, I feel its morning breath on my face, of pine and fresh snow. The suns virgin rays beaming, freshly groomed runs gleaming. I cannot help but to smile, for few have the luxury of experiencing that state of being. Perched atop the prehistoric ruminants of a glacier, hills and peaks stretching out as far as the eye can see. As if looking out on the ocean, the Siskiyou Mountains stretch on and on. I look down upon our beloved Rogue Valley, sympathetic of those deprived of nature’s wonders. I can’t help but to wonder if they feel the same emptiness that I feel while mulling around its flat, smoggy floor.
A crow flies quietly over my head, diving and soaring among the early thermal currents. The image is surreal, to be so high, so far from school, work, parents, and responsibility. To be back where our species belong, the elements, though obscured by the hand of men, I cannot help but to appreciate the steady hand of our creator, who crafted this breathtaking range. Appreciation for the enlightenment of what really deserves valuing.