Panic | Teen Ink

Panic

June 28, 2013
By SocksOakenshield BRONZE, Crawfordville, Florida
SocksOakenshield BRONZE, Crawfordville, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Step One: Imagine a world without fresh water.


Step Two: Panic.



What lies around tomorrow’s corner? Maybe a day, a week, a month, a year without bath water, drinking water, gardening water, cooking water, cleaning water, water that is essential to life?



Step Three: Open your eyes.


Step Four: Realize that our world has more problems than you ever knew.


Step Five: Panic.



Corporations have been buying up exclusive water rights all around the country for some time. Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, former CEO and current Chairman of the bottled-water giant Nestle, has suggested that it’s extreme for water to be a basic human right. Nestle, and many other companies, are campaigning for fresh water to be privatized and only sold to those who can afford it. What’s next? The laughable scenario featured in The Lorax where residents have to buy air? What will you do, when the only clean water you can get your hands on is sealed up tight, being transported to where the demand is highest, crying out as it’s ripped away from Mother Nature? Are you indifferent to this cruelty? Yes, of course, water doesn’t have feelings, or a mind of its own. It is inanimate. But the effects of natural water sources being monetized do, in fact, harm beings of flesh and blood, those with souls. Imagine the agonized cry of a mama bear losing her cubs to starvation since the river dried up. A lone beaver wandering the dying woods, all hopes of building a dam crushed. You have a taste for fresh water fish? That’s just too bad.



We all know that these ‘big bad wolf’ types of corporations aren’t around to benefit the environment, or even the public. They exist purely to exploit any and all resources they can get their hands on to ensure their own wealth. We need to think about what kind of planet we are leaving behind for the future generations.



Step Six: Don’t panic. Do something.