Magazine, website & books written by teens since 1989

Oil Pollution and its Effect on Wildlife This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown

      FutureDisasters
Contamination of the oceans because of oil spillage is not rare. Ithappens all over the world every day, fouling coastlines, killing animals anddestroying fisheries.

In 1997, more than 3.5 million tons of oil werereleased into the world's oceans. Only 28 percent of the spillage was accidental;the remaining 72 percent was a result of deliberate, illegalactions.

Migrating seabirds like puffins, guillemots and razorbills areparticularly at risk when oil is spilled. Marine animals killed by oil are inturn eaten by other species and the poisons work their way up the marine foodchain.

Some of the worst oil pollution is caused by the cleaning ofships' oil storage tanks at sea. Stricter policies regarding this activity mustbe enforced. A vast amount of oil seeps into the ocean through sewers and rivers.One way people can reduce oil pollution is to return used motor oil to garagesfor recycling, rather than pouring it down the drain or buryingit.

Environmental disasters like oil spillage could be avoided ifgovernments enforced strict anti-pollution legislation.


This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This piece has been published in Teen Ink’s monthly print magazine.





Join the Discussion


This article has 4 comments. Post your own!

NOM. said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 6:43 am:
i totally agree with you here. this pollution is getting way out of hand, people really need to pull there socks about this problem. every single day more and more sea life is dying from this and not one person seems to care. there must be something that can help oil tanks from spillage.
 
I LAV YOU. replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 6:48 am :

lol k.

UR JUST SILLY Y'KNOW?

 
NOM. replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 6:49 am :

look i was only posting my opinion. dont get involved in something that you arnt bothered about.

and I LAV YOU shh (; <3

 
i haaate you. replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 6:50 am :

na, jehfeuhfuwe4rq

 

SLENDERMAN.

 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
Site Feedback