Solar Power This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
     The world's naturalresources are being consumed at an alarming rate, and people are seekingdifferent sources to generate electricity for heat and light. The only known wayto solve this crisis is solar energy.

Solar energy is the radiant energyproduced in the sun as a result of nuclear fusion reactions. Solar energy is, ofcourse, only available during the day, but we just need to use a small amount ofthat released energy to convert it into energy that can be stored.

It is awonder that solar power has not yet been harnessed to power the world. Siliconand plastics, the materials used to build solar collectors, are readilyavailable. Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust.Solar panels could be placed virtually anywhere: on the roofs of houses or in thesides of buildings.

Widespread use of solar power could be a realitytoday, but oil companies, the leading researchers in nuclear and solartechnology, would rather stay with nuclear energy because it makes more money.Solar power is cheaper because you cannot turn off the sun; its energy cannot beexhausted as is occurring with fossil fuels. To maintain their hold on the fossilfuel market, these large oil companies are buying out smaller companiesdeveloping feasible solar power plants.

Solar power is the onlyalternative to the polluting fossil fuels. It is inevitable that one day thesupply of fossil fuels will run out, leaving solar power as the only alternative.Solar panels are silent, produce no pollutant emissions and use no fuel besidessunlight.

We must save our planet and prepare for the future. It isimperative that we conserve energy. We need to be less dependent on electricityand electric products. The use of coal, oil and gasoline is a constant drain onthe environment. There is no time like the present to think about the future, andwhere our future energy will come from.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

booboo11111 said...
Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:17 am:
OMG you are soooooo smart lolololollolol but you need to learn to add spaces