Big Resources; Even Bigger Dreams | Teen Ink

Big Resources; Even Bigger Dreams

April 1, 2024
By 5robichaud BRONZE, Hartland, Wi, Wisconsin
5robichaud BRONZE, Hartland, Wi, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If I had all the money and the power in the world I could do so many things to help the planet. My first step would be to fund conservation projects. There are already a lot of people who want to improve the environment; however, they lack the appropriate resources and funds in order to do so. Funneling my money into different conservation groups would allow me to improve the environment in a magnitude of different ways, even at the same time.
Another thing I would focus on would be green technology research. Discovering innovative and clean ways to produce energy would help to solve a large portion of the world's pollution problem. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, more than 78% of greenhouse gas emissions come from the burning of fossil fuels. That’s more than three quarters of the problem right there.
The main reason factories and incorporations don’t use green technology is because it can be much more expensive than fossil fuels when they’re installed, and at times they can be significantly more inefficient. However, The Guardian said once it’s installed, solar energy is about $24 each megawatt an hour, which is a third cheaper than fossil fuels. This proves that replacing fossil fuels with green technology is a feasible solution. In the long run, the money saved by using green technology instead of fossil fuels will greatly outweigh the price of the installation. Since most factories are constantly in motion, a cheap and constant energy source is needed. Since solar energy is drawn directly from the sun, incorporations won’t have to constantly purchase fuel.
Lastly, I think that transportation needs to become more sustainable. According to the Reason Foundation, “A passenger car carrying one person emits 89 pounds of CO2 per 100 passenger miles, while a full bus emits only 14 pounds.” If more people made use of public transportation, we could shave off a big portion of carbon emissions; and we don’t have to stop there. With proper funding, I’m sure that transportation agencies could discover new, cleaner ways to transport people to their destinations. Electric buses, and even small trams are two ways that we could cut down emissions even further.
In conclusion, I would prioritize funding conservation projects, invest in green technology research, and promote sustainable transportation options. Together, these efforts could lead to a more sustainable and greener future for generations to come.