Bicycles and Batteries? | Teen Ink

Bicycles and Batteries?

Talk of change, of new energy, is ubiquitous in our world, but where is the new energy, the clean energy, we speak of? Certainly it is not in the mines of Pennsylvania that collapse, or Saudi Arabia where people are drilling for oil that people here in the United States have to pay too much money for. No, it’s not any of those. It’s in bicycles and batteries. My dream is that each home in America will own a stationary bicycle that could turn a magnet next to a coil of wire to generate an Alternating Current when ridden. Of course, it would be a little more complicated, so continue reading for more details.

To use this method, one must obtain about a dozen large batteries, like car batteries. These batteries will be used to power homes. They will be rechargeable, and to recharge them, just connect it to the bike, and ride. It’s understandable that one may also need to be connected to a power plant or have some solar panels to get enough electricity, but this will significantly cut the amount of energy used by homes in America.