Toxic Friendships | Teen Ink

Toxic Friendships

Toxic friends, what are they exactly? I recently have lost a friendship due to her being what some may call toxic. The phrase "toxic friend" is used to describe the friends who tear you down, who don't do anything to help build your confidence or your self-esteem, they don't make your mental health better. My ex-friend's idea of fun was to embarrass me any chance that she could. She would pull chairs out from under me, tell my crush things I didn't want him to know, she hit me repeatedly, and I let her. Who does that? Who lets people treat them like dirt without saying anything? Apparently me. Disclaimer: I don't hate her, I don't know how to hate people even if they're horrible to me. But I'm glad her and I are no longer friends, I can focus on being more independent and happy with myself because I do not need her. I do not need her judgment or validation because I need to be good enough for me and nobody else. Letting go of toxic relationships are hard especially when you feel like it's the only thing you've got, believe me I would know. When you let go, however, you'll feel ecstatic. The thought of losing a friendship is terrifying, but being in a toxic one is not doing anything for you and you deserve to do what will benefit you in a positive way. Build up before the break up, make new friends to sit with at lunch, find hobbies to keep you busy on the weekends, keep a book to distract you in awkward situations, learn to stand up for yourself, look in the mirror and remind yourself that you hold galaxies in your veins and the world at your feet because you're worth that much! Letting go will pay off in the end, I promise. Best of luck to you, I hope this helps.

(P.S I know that sometimes toxic friends can be nice, but at the end of the day they are still toxic to you and a back and forth moodswing isn't healthy and you need to let go of them)

I am on a mission to a better mental state and part of that mission is to let go of anything that holds me back. A "friend" of mine was not being helpful towards my overall goal and so I told her that in this case my health was more important than her toxicity. I want people to know that letting go of people who only tear them down is good for the soul and overall helpful, I hope others can muster the courage to tell toxic friends that their friendship isn't needed.