It's Been Awhile | Teen Ink

It's Been Awhile

By smilingsunflower SILVER, Hemet, California
smilingsunflower SILVER, Hemet, California

It’s been awhile since I have been truly bullied. Five years actually. But I can remember it as if it was yesterday. Often, experiences in which people are hurt by, tend to stick in people’s heads. The person couldn’t remember that he did it and at one point we were even friends.

However, his words still remain in my head like a stain. No matter what kind or uplifting words people can pour over it, the stain is still there. It may fade. But it will always be there. When I felt especially bad, I could hear the words, forever a broken record in my head. They taunt me and pull me down when my spirits are already sunken.

Five short words can weigh heavily, but slowly your friends can help pick it up and it will be lighter. Your friends will help clean up the stain of the words. You will always know it is there but you will think about it less frequently.

Hurtful words can stay like scars, or weigh heavily on you like boulders, but loved ones are there to help you when you hurt most. So don’t try to hurt others, but help lighten their burdens. My friends did, and now I try to think of how people were there to comfort me when they saw me wiping away tears.