Cracking the Bullying Code | Teen Ink

Cracking the Bullying Code

November 29, 2016
By Malia02 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Malia02 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone in life has either been hurt by peers, hurt other peers, or watched someone get hurt by their peers.


It may seem very cliche for people to say ‘Don’t let them bully you.’ or maybe ‘Talk to an adult if someone is bullying’ Yet people think it’s easy to walk up to an adult and say ‘ Oh yeah and s/n is bullying me’  In your mind you just want to say ‘Stop bullying me.’ or ‘Why are you bullying me.’ There are many reasons why kids don’t just talk to adults about bullying. Teens are at an important point in their lives where they are trying to find out who they are and who they are about to become as adults.
   
When I was in 3rd grade, I was bullied for being obese. Right after recess one day these two girls started calling me ‘fat’, ‘ugly’ and ‘worthless’ and that I shouldn’t be alive. I’ve never been more self conscious in my life. It’s one thing to get bullied but to be bullied in front of the entire class and have no one to help me against the bullies. That was the point in my life that I thought I was alone from everyone. That they were all making fun of me. For a year I started cutting small slits in my wrist not hard enough to make me bleed, but enough


The victims of these bullies are afraid that the oppressor will hurt them even more if anyone found out. In many cases, the bullies are looking for victims who aren’t likely to fight back against them. These targets have resulted to skipping school, cutting on their wrist, or even dropping out of school already. Yet some try and stay strong many fall under presure. 30% of committed suicides have been related to LGBT bullying alone.


Some signs of bullying include; “Showing signs of depression, like ongoing sadness, withdrawal from others, losing interest in favorite activities, or trouble sleeping or eating. Talking about or showing an interest in death or dying. Engaging in dangerous or harmful activities, including reckless behavior, substance abuse, or self injury. Giving away favorite possessions and saying goodbye to people. Saying or expressing that they can’t handle things anymore. Making comments that things would be better without them.”

 

New research on 37 school shootings, including Columbine and Sandy Hook, found that almost three-quarters of student shooters felt bullied, threatened, attacked or injured by others. In fact, several shooters reported experiencing long-term and severe bullying and harassment from their peers.


Bullying can happen anywhere and everywhere. Even though we are bullied doesn’t mean we take it the same way. We all seen bullying happen. Instead of bystanders be upstanders and stop this bullying.

 


s/n= someones name