Behind Her Smile

Do you see that girl over there?

Yeah, she's smiling. But behind that smile, she's falling apart.

She's been promised forever, but was only a few months. She's been sworn love, which turned into hate. She was told so many things, and now she's broken.

She's broken because she believed.

She believed in forever, that she was loved. She trusted the words that hid the lies. Who could blame her? She has a good heart, and when you have a good heart, you give, love, and trust too much, and always get hurt the most.

Sometimes, when she's alone, she thinks about how easy it would be to end her pain forever. It terrifies her, yet intrigues her. she is becoming desperate. She wants the pain to end- No, she needs the pain to end. Pain is temporary, yes, but hunger is too, right? Just like any other emotion or feeling, pain is temporary, but it will almost always be back for seconds.

She screams, she cries, she asks herself, 'Why me?' but she doesn't give up. She knows she can get through this. She's so strong, even when she is on the ground, crying her heart out. All of the hate and sadness within her swirls around like a storm that threatens to consume her. She's been so close to going under so many times, yet she stands here today.

She's strong because- Deep down within her- she's believes.

She believes in hope, that one day, she'll be free from all the pain. She believes in trust, that to give is to have. She believes in all the things that have been stolen from her.

So yeah, she's smiling. That doesn't mean she's happy. Okay, she's laughing. That doesn't make it funny. Sure, she's breathing.

That doesn't mean she's alive.

You see that girl over there?

You don't know what she's been through, you don't know her story. Keep your mouth shut, unless you're helping her up, not knocking her down.

Think about that the next time you judge her, or anyone else.

DarkRayneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 10 at 10:56 pm
i would like to discuss more poetry with you, may i have your email so we can better know each other @_.briyonam.g._ it would be great to speak to you more

madi88e said...
This is a very emotional and deep subject and I think you portrayed it very well. I really like how you didn't give her a background story so we can all see ourselves in her and learn from our mistakes. Overall I really liked it!

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Overall, this is a powerful and well-written piece. The message of this work comes across really well, and is one I think needs to be talked about more. I got chills right near the end, with the set up to "That doesn't mean she's alive." You wove that section together very fluently. You also do a great job keeping the length of sentences different, which helps the writing flow. I don't know if it was intentional, but your integration of purposeful repetition added to the pace of the writing. The... (more »)