Cyberbullying | Teen Ink

Cyberbullying

By Madi24 BRONZE, Waco, Texas
Madi24 BRONZE, Waco, Texas

Statistics say that almost half of teens have suffered or been a part of online bullying. Most of the bullies have insecurities of their own that they don’t know how to cope with, so they take it out on other people. It can be insulting the victim’s appearance, threatening the victim, or making up rumors about the victim. Once it’s out there, it’s out there because people could have screenshotted it or sent it to another person. If you have ever been the victim of cyberbullying, you know what it does to you. It causes emotional or psychological distress. The victim also experiences anxiety, fear, depression, and low self-esteem. Victims of cyberbullying often find it difficult to feel safe because the bullying can invade their home through a cellphone or computer. They no longer have a place they can escape and sometimes the bully can be anonymous and the victim has no idea who is inflicting the pain.

Cyberbullying often attacks where the victim is most vulnerable and as a result the target can sometimes question their worth or value. Cyberbullying also increases the risk of suicide in teens and sometimes adults. If you are aware of cyberbullying that is going on or are in the midst of it, you need to speak up and call out for help. You have a voice, use it! If you are the bully, you need to realize the emotional and psychological stress it puts on a person. Let’s stand together to stop cyberbullying!

I want people to understand what cyberbullying is.