Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

June 6, 2016
By TheGaming_Geek BRONZE, San Diego, California
TheGaming_Geek BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine this: You’re in middle school.  You’re a teenager who has unstable emotions and is trying to figure out what type of person you’re.  Then one day, you’re walking to class and you heard someone call you a name.  You try to ignore it but it happens over and over again.  They’re either calling you a name because of your race, sex, or even religion.  What could you do when you’re in this situation?  I personally feel that if you go through bullying all  by yourself, then everything will stay the same or even become worse.

What you shouldn’t do is go through it in silence.  According to my research, you should always talk to someone about your problem, because if you don’t then it can be very stressful and it could be difficult to deal with it all by yourself.  Also when dealing with all this  stress and problems never isolate yourself because it is never going to resolve the problem itself.  What you should also do is exercise, not because you’re “fat”, it’s because studies show that if you exercise and have a clean diet then relieve stress, get your mind off of it and it could improve your mental and physical health(“Ditch the Label”,2016).  But really, what does the word “Bully” even mean?

Well the word “bully” means to “use superior strength or influence to intimidate, someone, typically to force them to do what one wants (“Google”,2016).  Well that’s what google says but I think that the word “Bully” means that a person that doesn’t get that much attention from their friends, teachers, or even their own family.  They also could be victims themselves. And the bully and/or bullies could also think that to get their way get angry or resort to pushing( Eschooltoday,2014).  And, the list goes on and one on how bullies become bullies.  But, what are the effects could bulling be on their victims, bystanders and even bullies?

According to my research, the effects on getting bullied is that they will be depressed, have anxiety, have increased feelings of sadness and loneliness, the person won’t have the same feelings for certain activities they used to enjoy, won’t do well in school, etc.  The effects on bullies is that they will most likely abuse the use of alcohol and other drugs when older.  They will get into fights, most likely drop out of school,  and have a criminal record. They also might be abusive to spouse, romantic partners, and/or children, (when older).  The effects on bystanders is that they might have an increased use alcohol, tobacco, and/or other drugs (when older).  They might have an increase in mental health problems, including depression and anxiety. They might also skip or miss school.

In conclusion, if you’re going through bullying then you need to tell a trusted adult, because it you don’t then things will get worse. If you don’t say anything then you’ll have depression, anxiety, etc.  And the bully become an even more of a bad guy and the bystanders will be addicted to drugs and stuff.  So I have one question for you, after knowing all of this, will you stop bullying next time you see it happening or will you be another bystander?  

 


The author's comments:

This is an argument essay to help you with the problem of bullying.