Just In Time | Teen Ink

Just In Time

May 21, 2016
By demerynoelle SILVER, Fountain, Minnesota
demerynoelle SILVER, Fountain, Minnesota
9 articles 3 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music.


A freshman girl sits alone in the school bathroom. She has been beaten down, bullied by those who are supposed to be her friends. She cries, scared and alone. Her father is out of the picture, her mother can’t be bothered enough to care. She has nowhere to turn, no one to look to for help. Finally, she gives up, decides it’s not worth it to keep fighting anymore. She takes out her knife. Moments later a senior leaves class to use the bathroom. She knows the freshman, they went to church together. The senior barely gets there in time.

A school goes into lockdown. The staff are trying to help a troubled student and don’t want everyone else wandering around. No matter what they try the student is still freaking out. They call the parent, the cops, all to help this one student. All the student can think is, “why didn’t you care before?” Meanwhile, in the classrooms, the rest of the school complains that they should be at lunch already. People start talking. “I heard some middle schooler freaked out for no reason and scratched their arms until they bled.” “Oh yeah? I thought it was that senior who got banned from campus, the principal did threaten to lockdown school if they showed up again.” “I thought it was a seventh grader?” “Maybe it’s a freshman.” “Who cares, when will this be over I’m hungry.” Then the announcement comes on, the students can go to lunch. All this time, no one noticed the senior girl sitting quietly, staring at the wall, tears in her eyes.

A bus picks up some kids from a bus stop, they sit in the back where the bus driver can’t hear them. They begin their usual routine of picking on some new kid who just transferred from church school. They don’t seem to care that she cries every day. They tell her how much everyone hates her as if she can’t tell already. They call her names, take her stuff, laugh when she starts crying. Finally, someone tells her to do something. She nods and begins sobbing quietly. The bus driver never notices. These students who sit in the back where the bus driver can’t hear them don’t understand why she took everything so seriously, they were only joking after all. At least, that’s what they’ll tell the school officials once the investigation starts. Once people start caring what drove that poor freshman girl into her school bathroom that day.


The author's comments:

Shortly after my best friend walked back into class from the bathroom crying, our school went into lockdown. It wasn't until later I found out the full story.