What Happened to Acceptance? | Teen Ink

What Happened to Acceptance?

By stallionducklover BRONZE, Clearwater, Kansas
stallionducklover BRONZE, Clearwater, Kansas

"The most important thing you can do is follow your dreams." - James Owen Sullivan

What happened to accepting people for who they are? What happened to embracing people differences and coming together? Believe it or not, we are on the rise of more bullies each day. Social media doesn't help either. 

There's more than one type of bullying, Cyber, Physical, Sexual, and Prejudicial. The real question that has been asked without an exact, one definition, answer is this: Why do people bully others and what do they gain from it?

Honestly, nothing should be gained from stomping on someone. It isn't right, and should not stop someone from going to school or work, one should not be hiding in their own safe haven for the rest of their lives. People shouldn't have to cower down low, especially teens. 

So what someone doesn't listen to the same music as you? Or they don't dress like you? That's the joy of being different. How would it feel like if everyone was the same, not one twitch of difference, it'd be like living with a ton of robots, no fun there.

If someone is bullying you, don't hide in the shadows, tell an adult or teacher/supervisior. Someone should not be beating you up or putting you down, ever. 

If you yourself are a bully, think about the golden rule. Treat others as you would want to be treated. How would you feel if someone came up to you and nailed on how you like Justin Bieber or My Chemical Romance, two completely different things, it doesn't matter, if you aren't like them they don't like you. Think about that the next time you attempt to bully someone, do you really think that's okay, and if you don't think it is, then you're right. 

I was bullied for five years in school, and sometimes still am. At first, I would make up excuses that I didn't feel well and didn't want to go to school. The older I got, I realized I had to tell someone and that eventually made it better.