One Team | Teen Ink

One Team

By Samantha Dunn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Samantha Dunn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

On November 5th, 2014, with no surprise, my school was on the news. This time
it wasn’t because the football team won state or because they were getting another renovation; this time, it was because BULLYING took place.

Arrowhead students bullied other students on the Yik Yak app. It is an app where people write anonymous messages publicly for others to read.

The school administration immediately took control, as they blocked the app from students. They also created a #NoH8Week after the incident. #No8Week involved events pertaining to Anti-bullying.

Whiteboards were scattered throughout the school, and they displayed  “pick me up” messages. Post-it notes attached on every student's locker before class. Also, each day of that week was assigned a color to be worn. Posters were also put around the school pertaining to anti-bullying.

Students realized that we all need to get together and be One Team to put an end to bullying for good. With 2,500 students at a school, bullying can stop, and within the community.

The school also created a twitter account for students to read about new and exciting things that kids have done throughout the school day, as well as motivational messages from the anonymous writer. Even though it isn’t as popular as the other events that have taken place at the school to stop bullying, it is still impressive to see what students accomplish throughout the school year, as well as have a slight motivation to get a student through the day.

My school continues to show it is possible to eliminate bullying. From giving sportsmanship awards to participating in the best buddies program, it is possible to take part in an anti-bullying program. At the end of the day, bullying is a terrible thing, and together we can stop bullying for good; we are One Team.