Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

March 25, 2015
By Jasmine Case SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jasmine Case SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

During late May of 2014, I saw signs up on the mirrors in the hallways: “Nice outfit”  and “You look great today” and “You will rock this week.” Weren’t there different ones last week?


I got a quirky grin on my face and those signs brightened up my day. I couldn’t get over how fun and cheesy they were. As weeks pass, these changing signs made me curious. My friend and I went to the school psychologist, Mr. Bolt, to ask about these mysterious signs. Mr. Bolt explained that this was a way to encourage kids and bring smiles to their faces. I loved the idea of that.


He told us he needed help and we set up a meeting for the following week. We were assigned to make a list of 30 positive sayings that would uplift the students/facility's mood -- things as which would make my school smile. “Cool shoes”  “You deserve to be here!” “Smile” While finishing our list, the talk about the signs came up around the school. Whispers that weren’t spoken of complaining, or pointless drama, but were filled with laughter, and happiness. How couldn’t you get a little smile from an encouraging, cheesy sign?


Making other people smile made me happy. I can tell the environment was more uplifting and it felt safer. It was an accomplishing moment and I’m glad I got the opportunity to put smiles on students’ face and help to end bullying at my school.