Bullying at My School | Teen Ink

Bullying at My School

By Arrowheadstudent12 BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin
Arrowheadstudent12 BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin

People say bullies bully because they are unhappy with themselves and this may be true. But, I believe it also has to do with being scared. Bullies are scared of being different. They are scared of themselves. What the bullies will soon find out is important; the people they call friends are cold and there is no warmth to be found. Bullies have a sickness of the soul that they try to spread onto others.

At my high school, we try to create a welcoming and safe school circle. It may not always work, and people aren’t perfect. But I can walk down the halls and talk to anyone like they are my friend. I was nervous when I first came to school here but all I had to do was just say hello to people. There was no sickness that overwhelmed me or anyone around me.

The community at my school is proactive against bullying. It isn’t a matter of dry anti-bullying words, fueled by law enforcement or detentions. At my school, students and staff work and create an atmosphere of anti-hate to prevent bullying from happening in the first place. Student council puts stickers on lockers to send a positive message. Also we have a “One Team” motto which means that every team is all part of the same team. Instead of separate teams working together there is one team working together that can be categorized into separate sub-teams. These things are kind of like going to the doctor before your sick.

Everyone has, for the most part, left me alone. I have friends and I have always had friends. I feel safe to learn at my school and I am positive I’m not alone in saying that. Isn’t that the goal for students?

I see people everyday asking questions and having discussions in class. Often this will come from students I would expect to be the quiet ones. That means that doctors visits are preventing a sickness from spreading.