What My High School Does to Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

What My High School Does to Stop Bullying

By Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." Paulo Coelho

Bullying stopped for me when Mr. Witte, a math teacher, relieved me of an embarrassing situation. I arrived at school monday morning with a container filled with half-eaten strawberries and strawberry stems. I got to my locker and there was a group of 15 kids standing there.

I dropped the container of berries, and the kids started laughing at me. I got on my knees and began to clean up the mess--I heard the kids chuckling over my shoulder.

“Thats disgusting” explained one of the kids. “What the hell is that?!”

“Why aren’t you guys helping him?” asked Mr. Witte when he walked by. “Why are you just watching him?”
Mr. Witte then got on the ground, and helped me pick up the nasty mess. Mr. Then the kids got on their knees as well, and began to help me pick up the mess.

That was my first day, and I did something embarrassing and was getting laughed at the first day. I was fearful that their laughter would grow into something more, but thanks to Mr. Witte, it did not.

At my school, teachers often stand outside their classroom during passing time, greeting students and being nice. If commotion were to break out, the teachers would stop it like a stop sign regulates traffic. And that’s how my school has stopped bullying.

My school also prevents bullying with a great staff of counselors, principals, and advisors who always have their doors open to students. Infact, I talked to my counselor freshman year when I was being bullied. I played football as a freshman, and was not a good player. I broke my arm he first week of practice. Anyways, there was this kid who always made fun of my last name Beres. He called me BARE-ASS, and would shout that through the hallway in school. Eventually, I told my counselor, and that kid was issued a ticket, and was suspended for two days. That kid never made fun of me or my name again.

At my school, bullies are ticketed $89-1000 tickets for bullying.