Loneliness No More | Teen Ink

Loneliness No More

By JaylenMc21 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
JaylenMc21 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I walk into the lunchroom with a stomach craving for the usual chocolate milk carton and two beef tacos drenched in hot sauce.  As every minute passes, my stomach grumbles and I get hungrier and hungrier as I impatiently wait in line.  Finally, I make it to the front of the line and I type in my five-digit lunch code at the cash register.   

I wander over to my friends’ lunch table with a little hop in my step, excited to eat after a long morning.  As soon as I take a bite of my taco, I look up and see someone that looked familiar.  He had black, shaggy hair that matched his black, baggy clothes.  His eyes were hiding behind his rectangular lenses.  His name was Brandon, and Brandon happened to be in one of my business class.  He was sitting alone at one of the lunch tables.  He looks depressed, sitting alone, trying not to make eye contact with anyone.  After I finish my second taco and swallow the last gulp of chocolate milk, I head over to his table.  I sit in the seat right across from him.  He seems surprised, like no one has ever sat by him before.  I quickly bring up a topic we can both relate to.

“Have you finished that World of Business homework yet?”
Nodding his head, he answers, “Yes.”

I bring up another question about the class, and after every question he begins to get more and more engaged.  My friends notice me sitting next to this kid, and one by one, each of them abandoned their table and walked over to sit with Brandon and I.  We all start talking to one another, trying to keep Brandon involved as well.  He looked happy, and seemed to forget about his loneliness every time I saw a smile break through on his face.    

What seemed like a little difference to my friends and I, was a big difference to Brandon.  If people could do little acts like this every day, we could make a big change in our world.