Helping Other | Teen Ink

Helping Other

March 24, 2015
By eregal123 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
eregal123 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Bullying has never been a part of my life. I've minimally seen it. The schools that I have been attending usually had no drama. That was until this past fall, I saw bullying happening every minute and couldn't make it stop. The app called Yik Yak was an app where you could talk anonymously say whatever you want and and no one would know who made the comment. It was on everyone’s phone, and everyone could see what students were saying about other peers. There was a silent attack on kids by anonymous students saying negative comments about their peers. For example, one person said that this one girl had “A better 5 man rotation than the Brewers.” I saw people walking through the hallways crying.


I had no clue how the school was going to respond to this. Then the next day I saw that the app got blocked. I was glad to see my school going in the right direction with this situation. A couple days later I walk into school in the morning and see thousands of sticky notes flooding the hallway. Personal, handwritten, positive messages were on every locker. Seeing all these hand written notes saying comments like “You matter” and “You are Beautiful” really lifted the spirits of those who have been bullied by making them feel good about themselves.


In the cafeteria and in the hallways they put up anti-cyber bullying posters. Then in the afternoon I

saw something that gave me goose bumps. A girl who was one of the worst victims of Yik Yak had a hundred sticky notes on her locker. Students who felt badly for her took the note off their lockers and gave it to her because they thought that she needed more support than them. This locker really showed how our students came together and helped those who were suffering from bullying.