The Strongest Person I Know | Teen Ink

The Strongest Person I Know

March 24, 2015
By chloe5427 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
chloe5427 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
12 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am a poem in progress, a tangle of meanings searching for the right words." -Unknown


She is one of the strongest people I have ever met and whenever I see her, she is smiling and happy. But deep down, I know she’s hurting and sad. It hurts to hear about your best friend being the victim of bullying when you aren’t around to stop it. It is the only situation that’s more painful than being the victim yourself. You know that someone who has been there for you through everything is being hurt .


“I’ve been sitting here for the past ten minutes hearing about how people think I’m a s*** and a w****, that I’m not good at anything and I can’t do anything right. They think I’m a druggie and a try hard. I don’t understand why people think these things about me! They don’t even know me.” The text from my friend at 4:36 pm on a Sunday. I never quite understood how someone could have the guts to say words so hurtful to someone who has always been a positive, kind person.


After getting that message from her, I didn’t know what to say. I was upset that I wasn’t there to stand up for her and I didn’t know how to boost her self esteem. I told her it would get better -- that none of those statements people said were true.


It got me thinking about the times I was bullied. My parents told me it would get better, but hearing that never helped. I knew I had to help her so I went to an adult I trust at my school and asked for help. I found out the names of people who said mean words, talked to them and explained that they had hurt her, that they don’t know her, and should worry about themselves. A lot of bullies at my school have never been stood up to before. Since then, I haven’t heard about any other mean comments. I’m glad I was able to stop it with the help of a trusted adult.