Standing Up to Bullying | Teen Ink

Standing Up to Bullying

March 23, 2015
By MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My mom is a guidance counselor and she’s taught me how to handle bullying. She’s engraved the positives of stepping in, in my mind. Now, when I see someone being bullied, I’m not afraid to say something like “hey, just leave him alone” or “He’s done nothing to you, why are you being mean?” and usually people stop.


A girl I went to middle school with had a disease called Williams Syndrome. Kids I was friends with, along with kids I wasn't friends with, made fun of her, even though she had no control over her disease. They’d call her names that led to laughter. Some students even whined and complained if they were partnered with her. Although she didn’t realize when people made fun of her or when they were courteous toward her, I still made sure she knew I was a friend and that I was willing to talk to her and compliment her on her new haircut, cool shoes, or awesome shirt.


Because of what my mom taught me, I go out of my way to talk to kids who get less attention or who are picked on. Just by saying a simple hello can put a smile on someone’s face--which is reassuring and the positive way I’m helping to end bullying at my school.


In middle school, I was involved in the Buddies Program, a program for students to hangout and become friends with students with special needs. By participating, I learned how to handle if someone was being bullied, as well as why people feel the need to bully--which is primarily due to their social status and popularity. 


To this day, my mom reminds me “kindness is always fashionable,” and “rethink that and try it again,” if I say something rude or mean. And my mom is right--we can all stand up to bullying and make a positive difference in our schools.


It truly does only take one person to change the bully’s and/or the victim’s point of view. Plus, there’s nothing negative that can come from bullying. If anything, others will start to follow  and take a positive approach to preventing bullying.


Throughout my life, I’ve learned how to stop bullying and I’m more than willing to stand up to bullies. If everyone took this approach, there would be less bullying in all of our schools.