What I'm Doing to End Bullying | Teen Ink

What I'm Doing to End Bullying

March 25, 2015
By jtperet SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
jtperet SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Most people cringe at the thought high school because they think of classes and stress. Over this past year my school has tried to prevent bullying. I have tried to  participate in these events because I feel no one should have to . One group I helped out with is Best Buddies which is an organization designed to help kids with disabilities to be more involved in school activities.
   

I am not a peer buddy, designated to one person. Instead, I am one of the people who help out the member is Best Buddies. But there is one girl in particular who wants me to be around more than the rest. Her name is Carley.


Carley has a peer buddy who is one of my friends. But whenever they hang out, the same question is asked, "Is Justin coming?" Best Buddies does events throughout the year. The biggest one is the Best Buddies dance, which is a prom-type event for kids who have disabilities. There is dinner in Milwaukee and then it is back to the high school where there is music and dancing through the night.


During last year’s event, Carley and I sat on the bus together down to Milwaukee and on the way back. Then we danced together for multiple songs in a row and have fun.


After being in Best Buddies, I realized that people are the same. There is no need to bully someone when we are all people who are trying to make it through high school. School is tough enough without bullying--so why people feel the need to bully someone is beyond me. That is why it has been a blessing to go though school where bully is stopped before it can start.