Don't Be Mean Behind the Screen | Teen Ink

Don't Be Mean Behind the Screen

January 2, 2015
By Jenna Braun BRONZE, Indian Wells, California
Jenna Braun BRONZE, Indian Wells, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We live in a day and age where they're kids and even parents getting bullied every single day. We hear stories on the news of kids comitting suicide because of bullying, but yet we don't do anything to resolve the issue. I know writing essays and me rambiling on probably doesn't solve anything but think about what we could do as a community to stop bullying. And maybe even stand up to the bullies.

They're many types of bullying; prejudicial bullying, sexual bullying, cyber bullying, verbal bullying, physical bullying, and the type people don't see relational agression. I'm here to write mostly on cyber bullying but everything still applies to the topic "bullying." Everyday they're kids and parents getting cyber bullied over sites like ask.fm, instagram, facebook etc. Little do the bullies know how much they're hurting themselves and their peers. A little message to someone can do a lot of damage.

Bullying can lead to many different things, depression, suicide, cutting, drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. Which then results into someone dying or becoming very ill. Lots of people feel alone or like they don't have a place in this world because they think everyone hates them. They think hurting themselves is the answer when it really isn't, everyone should know hurting yourself is NEVER the answer.

The victims need to learn to stand up for themselves, and not be afraid too. Weather it's telling on them, or saying something to an adult do something. Don't allow yourself to keep on listening to stuff that is said about you which isn't true. Or allowing yourself to get hurt, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. If everything is getting to be a little to much you can also try counseling to see if that helps, but whatever you do don't allow the bully to continue hurting you. 

I know this is just one essay and my opinion but bullying is terrible and it needs to be stopped. According to nobullying.com bullying results in about 4,400 deaths a year. This is just 4,400 more lives that could be saved. Think about this and do something, know that you can make a difference in this world. 


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece is a conversation I had with my friend recently. We were talking about how messed up some of our society is relating to drugs, alcohol etc which lead onto the topic of bullying. I hope kids our age, younger, and older see my essay and realize that bullying isn't something you should be doing and it needs to be stopped. If you're witnessing someone being bullied don't let them take it. Say something and do something about it.