The Broken Dolls | Teen Ink

The Broken Dolls

The Bully
      From the moment my horrible words entered her ears, Juliet was done, finished, dead. She was a walking corpse. And so was I, because the moment Juliet Harris decided to leave this world, I was no longer Sophia Abel. I was simply the bully, the cruel, the monster, the killer. At the trial, I was guilty, guilty, guilty. And Juliet became the innocent, the beautiful, the hero, the kind. Juliet wasn’t kind. No, she was a bad girl, but I was worse. But she gave up first, which left me, the loser, monster, killer, evil, and bully. It was like when Juliet floated away to heaven or hell, she left me with all her earthly burdens. I was depressed. I was anorexic. I was crazy. I was in pain. But no one looked at me with pity like they did Juliet, no. They looked at me like I was the dirtiest of the dirty. I was a killer. Words hurt more than I knew.

Every time I suck in a breathe of air, I wonder how this too hasn’t been taken from me. I bet the world would take the air from me if they could catch it. But it was just me and the air and the ground, friends forever. I felt as dirty as they said. At first when the bullying started it was a simple game. I would yell out at her in the hall, words like pig, fat, ugly, and many other things that I shouldn’t repeat. Others joined in. Everyone wanted her turn to hurt the cruel girl. Every step they took to make her feel like dirt, I took another. It got to the point of posting pictures online. Faked of course. Photoshop was a lot easier than it looked.

Juliet Harris left me a monster. She escaped. In the end, it was me, the girl who used to be Sophia Abel, the beautiful, the wonderful, the lovely, the bright, and the kind, who ended up taking her place. People have started treating me like her. How long can I last?

The Silent

When Juliet Harris lept into oblivion, she took me with her. It started with Sophia, the girl who was once popular, who was mad at Juliet for being who she was. Juliet was mean, but she wasn’t a bully. When Sophia Harris started the bullying, I joined in, just for a while. I was Meghan Adams, the girl who just wanted to be popular. I was one of the first to follow Sophia on her battle for ‘justice.’ It started to get out of hand, so I stopped. Juliet had learned her lesson. She was no longer the cruel girl. I think she actually enjoyed all the attention for a while. Then Sophia started posting horrible pictures, but no one said anything, though everyone gave up on teasing Juliet. She was hurt and she was ruined, a broken doll that no one wanted to play with. Then she was gone. Leaving us all with our regrets. Sophia Harris became a killer. And she is the new doll to Juliet’s broken one. We all make fun of her now. I join in sometimes. I even spray painted the word ‘monster’ in big red letters on her car with Annie Karsen once. Sophia will soon be a broken doll. What worries me sometimes, is that when Sophia breaks, they’ll move onto someone new. Could I be next?

The Victim
The victim lives no more.

A fiction piece about how bullying works.