Through the Eyes of the Experienced Bystander | Teen Ink

Through the Eyes of the Experienced Bystander

October 28, 2014
By DrewR GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
DrewR GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Popularity, body image, and athleticism can protect people from bullying. I was protected by the last one. Being the fastest kid in my grade definitely gained me respect.
The few times I was bullied I either ignored it and it went away or I shot back with remarks meant to make whoever recieved them feel like trash.
Middle schoolers fighting usually sounds like meaningless comebacks thrown between the two kids until one of them ran out of ideas. The only difference with my comebacks is that they were nasty and they were true. I’d find something they couldn’t help. It could be how they looked, how they dressed, or how smart they were. Once I found the negative, I would twist it and shove it right in their face.
After their initial harassment, I would usually say something like this, “Get the f*** out of here, fatass and make sure you hide that by tucking in your shirt.” That definitely made them stop, but sometimes I think I went too far. I became the bully of my bully if that’s even possible, I guess. No matter if it was good or bad, it was effective.
But what about the kids that weren’t athletic, popular, or had a perfect body image? The ones that were bullied verbally, but weren’t smart enough or mean enough to say something nasty back? The ones that were bullied physically, but weren’t strong enough or aggressive enough to hit back? They took the brunt of it everyday. A lot of kids saw it and either joined in or ignored it, like me.
Now getting called a fag, a b****, or something else similar was normal. Most kids brushed it off or called their friend something back in a joking way. Hearing it everyday constantly, though, and you might start to believe it. You could tell what “Hey fag!” meant and who it was directed at just by the tone of voice.
Getting beaten up a little was normal too, especially at recess. We played hard whether it was tackle football or king of the hill on a snow pile in the winter. Most kids didn’t mind either since it was all part of the game. For the other kids, though, it wasn’t part of the game.It was a daily occurrence to get another bruise or scratch. It didn’t have to happen on the playground either, but if they were even allowed to play, it was a guarantee. If they didn’t gain a bruise or scratch on the playground, getting slammed into a locker in the hallway afterwards would definitely give them one. And this was all common, the norm.
The verbal and physical bullying I saw happened so much everyday I got used to it. My face might cringe a little when one of those kids got smacked, but in general, I was used to it. I’m sure I didn’t see all of it either, my ADD didn’t really help me be all that observant. I do know though, that not enough was done because now those kids are all gone. From to the next closest school to a totally different country. For them that was the only way to escape.    


The author's comments:









 







Preferences
















§









1









2









3









4









5









6









7









8









9









0









-









=









Backspace









 









Tab









q









w









e









r









t









y









u









i









o









p









[









]















 











Return











 













 









capslock









a









s









d









f









g









h









j









k









l









;









'









\









 









shift









`









z









x









c









v









b









n









m









,









.









/









shift









 















 











English


















 

















































 


















alt


















alt









 
















 







Preferences