Russell Wilson | Teen Ink

Russell Wilson

October 27, 2014
By rkuhtz18 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
rkuhtz18 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Russell Wilson
Russell Wilson, one of the best quarterbacks for the best team in the NFL (Seattle Seahawks) and arguably one of the nicest guys off the field.  Every Tuesday during the football season, Wilson spends his time with children at the Childrens hospital in Seattle.   Last year, Wilson won The Pro Football Writers of America’s Good Guy award.  This award is given to a NFL player for his qualities on and off the field to help make the NFL better and professional style in helping pro football writers do their jobs. 
But I bet you would have never guessed that this man was once a bully.  Yes, you read that right, Wilson used to be a bully in middle school.  "I threw kids against the wall. I rubbed their heads in the dirt at recess. I bit them. I even knocked teeth out," stated Wilson to. (Espn.com)  He just had a lot of anger growing up and didn’t know what to do with it all besides bully people. 
Wilson created the “Why Not You Foundation” where he is trying to raise awareness and raise funds for a number of good causes. Wilson says he wants to “Pass the peace” to support victims of domestic violence.  Wilson is also trying to raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness month, which is October. 
Wilson isn’t perfect at all, he is just a recovering bully, but if people start being honest about their pain, their anger, and their weaknesses instead of pretending they don’t exist, then maybe we’ll leave the world a better place than we found it.
Wilson was able to turn around his bad habits and says he found God around the age of 14 and learned to live for others instead of himself.  He is currently trying to stop domestic violence and bullying by asking people to donate to the National Domestic Violence Hotline.  Even if someone is a bully, they can realize what they are doing wrong, find some help, and can turn around their life, just like the Super Bowl champion, Russell Wilson.