A Friend in Need | Teen Ink

A Friend in Need

By Brian Wilman SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Brian Wilman SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

A Friend in Need
For as long as I remember, there has never been a time when I felt bullying people was acceptable. Whenever I see bullying occurring, I feel annoyed with the bully, especially if the victim is being targeted for something that they cannot help.
I’ve experienced bullying many times in my lifetime, but have been fortunate enough not to be bullied much myself. Up until recently, I assumed this meant it wasn’t my problem and I should just mind my own business. However, this is not the case. Bullying is a major issue in today’s society, and if it is to end, bystanders can’t be bystanders anymore.
Throughout the years, I’ve consistently found myself in the role of the bystander. It is an uncomfortable situation to be in, and I sometimes find myself wondering why it keeps happening to me. Whether it’s simple teasing, texting hurtful messages, posting hurtful content on social media, or all out fights, I’ll try to steer clear when I see it happening. Lately, I’ve come to reconsider and question whether this is the right thing to do. It has always felt right because I was staying out of trouble. I’ve now come to think maybe it is okay to get in a little trouble if it means helping someone who could really use it.
One case of bullying that I’ve experienced a lot is the bullying of a friend I’ve known since I was very young. I’m usually very nice to him, but a lot of other people are not so much. Since I’ve known him, I’ve felt that I’ve been doing everything a good friend would do to him, and I’m sure he feels the same way. But I now know that there is more that could be done. Usually when I witness him being bullied, I stand by and let it happen. I’ve always thought that he could fend for himself and it wasn’t any of my business. Sometimes I will lend a few kind and encouraging words after it is done, but that’s about it.
If I want to be an even better friend and a better person, I believe that it is time for me to stand up directly to the people who bully my friend. Standing by and letting him be bullied is not working. Doing this, I’m sure, would lift a huge weight off my friend’s shoulders and he would know that he’s never alone and that I always have his back. Also, if I stand up to the bullies, perhaps others will follow in my footsteps. All people need is an initiative, and I believe I can be that initiative.
Bullying is a problem in today’s society that cannot be taken so lightly. A great way of preventing it is for people to not stand by and watch as somebody is victimized. So many people, like my friend, are bullied everyday. If these people knew that they were not alone, their lives would be greatly improved. In conclusion, it is important to not be a bystander and to help out where help is needed. It could mean the world to somebody.