FLINTface Bullying Short Story | Teen Ink

FLINTface Bullying Short Story

By 6marston SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6marston SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Ever since I was young, I have been around the same size as other kids if not bigger, so I was never picked on for my size, but I couldn’t say the same for my little brother Dylan.
Dylan  is 13-years-old now and he isn’t picked on much anymore because he’s only a little smaller than the other kids. But when he was young, he didn’t have much of a self-esteem because he is the youngest in a family of eight. The older ones would pick on him and he would run to mom or dad for comfort. I don’t blame him because three of his older siblings were girls who know how to talk smack day and night.
From third grade to about sixth grade, he would get bullied for his size. He would always feel badly because he wouldn't do as good in sports and he would just want to give up on every extracurricular activity because he was smaller than the other kids and they would put him down. I tried to teach him to be tough and I think it finally kicked in. I taught him how to stick up for himself and how to talk back to kids who think they are funny.
He didn't have a lot of friends like I had and I wondered why. He was a very shy little child that just wanted to fit in; but instead, he was be put down for his size and he wouldn’t stick up for himself.
He shouldn’t have been put down in the first place and it should’ve stopped, but at the same time I feel like the name calling and pushing around helped him. It helped him become the tougher man he is today.
I can understand if it happens people can get depressed and never stick up for themselves. That’s when bullying goes too far.
It just makes me wonder how his life would’ve been different if he didn’t have a brother like me to teach him the ways of society these days.