The Dreaded Bus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

If you have ever ridden a school bus then you know that it sucks. If you are shocked to hear this, you are probably more popular than I am, which is okay; I don't care about status. I hate that other people do, though.

I sit in the middle of the bus, sometimes in the front. Really, it's wherever my friend happens to save me a seat. Everything is dandy until it's her stop. And then I am left alone, maybe reading a book or staring out the window.

Inevitably, somebody in the back starts to misbehave, and the driver yells the warning “If you don't stop, you'll have to sit in the front!” Quickly, the ruckus subsides, as if the threat of sitting in the front is terrifying. Yet I am sitting there willingly, still alone.

And then what I dread most happens. Somebody in the back is tickled or hit, and the driver stops the bus. He points at the rowdy student. “You! Come to the front! Sit right here until your stop.” He points at the empty seat next to me.

Everybody mocks him and says “Ooooh,” some laughing at his bad fortune. I take a breath and prepare for the worst, at the same time hoping for better. He heaves his backpack in the seat and sits down next to me, looking straight ahead.

“Hi,” I say. He scowls and scoots to the edge of the seat, talking to his friends down the aisle. I sit alone, rejected.

So, if you are a bus driver and happen to come across this article, you now know what a punishment should not be. If you are a troublemaker and are forced to sit next to someone you don't know on the bus, remember this article and try having a conversation with that person. If you are a student, like me, who sits in the front, at least you know you are not alone.

TheUnspoken1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:45 am:
I sit in the back! But yet, I am not one of the loud, rude ones.

ycd981110This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:37 am:
I sit alone in the front of the bus everyday and read or do my homework on the way home. When a misbehaving student came to sit at the front, I mostly just ignore him or her and mind my own business. I find that keeping to yourself really helps.

Plume said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:37 am:
Wow !!! This is really good ! Well done, please checkout my work :)

kindyxkandy said...
I sit in the front of the bus, but thats just because no one else wants to. There's always enough seats for all of my friends and I, and someone always saves a seat for me and my boyfriend. We can sit up front and have fun, and talk to eachother, and even our bus driver. Don't think of sitting in the front as a bad thing, its fun :)

beautifulworld said...
I hate when teachers use less popular kids as a punishment.

live-love-laugh replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm :
Yes! that's exactly what i was going to say :-) i totally agree.

xxlexilooxx said...
Wow. I don't ride the bus, but I still feel bad for you, and everyone else like you.Very well written.