Stop the hatred | Teen Ink

Stop the hatred

September 22, 2014
By Debbie Tsatsou BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Debbie Tsatsou BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever been personally targeted by another individual? Maybe not having your head forced into a toilet, but verbally hurt? The issue of bullying can be quite serious when it comes to these days in age. Being personally targeted by others whether in school, or out of school can tend to have a negative effect upon the victim. And may not always have a great turnout. The issue of bullying may seem like something that should not be taken seriously, and it is quite often something we are all prone to neglect. If you place yourself in the shoes of the victim, the issue is not a joke.
I always thought of myself as nobody. I never knew I was a victim to bullying. “Be yourself,” was the advice my mother always telling me.  This was my reality. What is it about me? I often asked myself. Deep down inside, the bullying had really taken a toll.  After months of torturing I became depressed. 
It was one of them days; I wish I could stay in bed. The idea of going to school just makes me felt knot in my stomach. Pains, anger ran through my body; I didn’t want to face Mariah’s trouble that early morning.
Here she comes with a mean look on her face. “You’re ugly, and fat!” she said looking disgusted, “ I hate you, you know that right?” I kept my head down, and waited for her to leave, without saying any word. Unfortunately, she stood there, and kept oppressing me with her words, “could you be more of an unpopular freak?” she taunted me. Her words were her bait, and I was the fish. But I didn’t want to bite.
“Can’t you just go die in a hole, and make everyone’s life better?” she aggressively said, “I might kill myself if I have to see your ugly face again.”  I murmur, “ Can you stop, please?” hoping she didn’t hear me; she did.

“Excuse me? What did you say, loser?” Mariah’s eyes became huge and angry. “Please, stop making fun of me. Please.” I trailed off. I still didn’t have the courage to face her, even the constant taunting.  She stepped closer, looking me in the eyes. “ Listen, you dork, I’m never going to stop! Not until you’re worn out. You’re fat, ugly, and a nerd. You deserve every bit of it.” She walked off leaving me stood in the darkened hallway. Thousands of toughs went trough my head during that very first moment, I just didn’t knew what else to do.
It was lunchtime; I was sitting with Mike, and Miguel. My two favorites twin brothers. Mike was 12 years old, black hair with a tan skin. Miguel was about 5’1; darken eyes with a tan skin as well. We all ate our food, and discussed about ours math homework. I spot Mariah walking over to our table. “No, no, no, not again!” I thought to my self, “at least not at this moment.” Didn’t take her long enough before she reaches our table. “ How may we help you?” Mike smirks.
“I am not hear to see you, nor your little DNA twin brother,” Mariah declared, “I am here to see that little thing over there.” She pointed at me, “and what’s your business with Debbie?” asked Miguel.
“Mind your own crap, alright?” she quickly replied. As she glared into my eyes, she says, “ Are you kidding me? You’re wearing that? You’re so ridiculous!” she laughed, “ I can’t believe you thought you could be popular.”
“ I want you to stop bothering her,” Mike says, “she hasn’t done anything to you.” He looked straight into my eyes; he wasn’t afraid “Mariah, you need to stop bothering Debbie, she doesn’t deserve the things you say to her.”
Miguel quickly responded, “ I don’t think you would like it if guidance get involved. FLA has a new law against bullying, I don’t think you’ll be the tough girl you are now in juvenile.”
Mariah’s eyes go wide in astonishment; not believing I had friends to defended me. There was silence for a moment.
Snapping out of her shock, she say, “Fine, but don’t think I regret anything I said to you. Nor about you! I was right you’re never going to be popular. You’re not pretty, and you’re fat. Go die in a hole.”
And she left. It was that easy. Why didn’t I know it could be that easy? Why me? Used to be the question, I have always been asking myself. I still didn’t figure out the answer to that question yet. If I could go back into the days, I would’ve show Mariah I’m bigger than she is. And I am not fear of anyone. I would stand up for my self, just like the twin brothers stood up for me. I am a little bit stronger; little bit wiser for making a mistake.
It took me a while to get out of the bad place Mariah put me in. I would like to thank her, though. She made me realize that I don’t need to change myself to fit in, to find people who love me, for me. I am beautiful, I don’t have to be “skinny,” and my life isn’t her document to edit.
There’s always that one time in life, we all makes mistake. Perhaps we need to get out, of our skin, and take a stand. No matter what the situation is. Like Miguel say, “we did it, and I’m sure you can do it too.”


The author's comments:

We were suppose to the write a memoir paper in English class. i tough it would be fun sharing my story with other people 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences