I Made It | Teen Ink

I Made It

By missjuliadarling SILVER, Corona, California
missjuliadarling SILVER, Corona, California

This week is National Suicide Awareness Week, and I’m living proof that awareness matters.

It was my sophomore year of high school, and I was miserable. Although I was surrounded with a community of loving and caring people, I couldn’t escape from a crippling sense of extreme depression. My mind only saw my flaws. Things that would be excusable became reasons to hate myself. I hated that my eyes watered when I laughed too loudly. I hated my glasses, my frail body shape, and my awkwardness. Out of desperation, I began to feel like I couldn’t escape from my problems. The water was over my head, and I felt like I was beginning to sink.

Writing became my buoy, pulling me to life when the tides of life took me under. Through writing, I was able to express my fears, frustrations, and flaws. I realized that I wasn’t alone, but rather surrounded by compassionate family members and friends who wanted me to smile again. Although it has been a difficult journey, I feel the sun once again on my skin and life beginning to become more vibrant.

It’s been two years now, and every day I realize more and more the importance of life. I feel so blessed to have people in my life that stopped me from doing something I would regret, but even more so, I feel an important burden on my heart to bring awareness and hope for other girls like myself dealing with teenage depression.

According to The Jason Foundation, suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24. Every day, over 5,400 people from seventh to twelfth grade attempt suicide. Suicide awareness is more than wearing a ribbon; it shows people who feel like they are trapped in a hopeless situation that you still care about them.

Life is beautiful. It sucks sometimes, but I promise, if you stay, you’ll learn to see that it is wonderful and chaotic and glorious. I may not know you or your story, but one thing I do know is that you have worth. You are more than what’s been done to you or the people who’ve hurt you or the experiences that scar you.

You are a great person, with the capacity to do mighty things. This is NOT the end.