Bullying In The LGBT Community | Teen Ink

Bullying In The LGBT Community

By emilyab34 BRONZE, Oceanside, California
emilyab34 BRONZE, Oceanside, California

It's okay to be a glowstick; sometimes we need to break before we shine.

Love. That’s all it is. No matter what gender you are, or are attracted too. It’s love any way. Society these days tend to think that if you’re Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transexual, or Queer, you’re an abomination to life. In cases that i’ve seen, people have said “Your gay? Ew. That’s gross. What is wrong with you?” Also they been called names. Horrible names that I didn’t even think someone of this age was capable of saying.

People in the LGBT community have been told to kill themselves. Or that god hates them and they are going to hell. And I know the bible might say that, but the people who say this, like christians or catholic people, say that god loves you no matter what. If god loved us no matter what, then we wouldn’t be going to hell for being LGBT. Being bisexual myself, people, in the past, have told me things such as “kill yourself,” or “God hates you, loving anyone except the opposite gender is disgusting.”

I stand up for people that are LGBT, because I can tell what horrible things they must go through. Mostly, the most horrible thing that I had to go through was telling my mom. I didn’t plan on telling my mom when I did. I wasn’t planning on telling her until i was out of high school. Yet, through out the last couple months, I had friends, and my councilor supporting me. Telling me to push the bullies away, and not to be ashamed of what I am.

Then one night, after about three years of thinking, I told my mom. I thought it was going to be perfect, and she wouldn’t be mad, or upset with who I am. And she wasn’t. Her reaction might of not been exactly what I wanted, but she did say she would always be there for me. I expect people to treat their LGBT peers the same. Though you might not all but like it, you have to think of what they go through. Would you like to be bullied for something you can’t control? I certainly wouldn’t.

It is like racism. You can’t control the fact that your skin is dark or light, just like we can’t control who we like. If you like a girl or boy, not matter what gender you are, you like them. If you fall in love with someone else of the same gender or not, it’s love. Most people say that it’s a choice. And that we can actually control it. But the fact is that it’s not our decision. Its just that we do. And there’s nothing that’s going to change it. I just hope that one day, everyone would be fine with the LGBT community and it’s friends and people.

I really hope that people, by reading this article, will understand the importance of the LGBT community.

on Mar. 9 2014 at 12:17 pm
emilyab34 BRONZE, Oceanside, California

:D  urm, appearently i cant JUST send the smiley face....  

on Jan. 27 2014 at 10:58 pm
PunkPixie BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Wrists Are For Bracelets, Not For Cutting. -Kellin Quinn

Totally! It really does suck!!  

on Jan. 25 2014 at 12:37 pm
emilyab34 BRONZE, Oceanside, California

Thank you SOOOO much! And see? I hate the fact that people bully each other for that! Like, whats the problem? Grrr, but if you ever need to talk, Im here to talk :D

on Jan. 24 2014 at 11:24 am

This is amazing. I am Bisexual or Pansexual if you will myself. I love that you are sticking up for LGBT's. I think its awesome. :) And I just wanted to say that I also get bullied for it, I self harm from the bullies, but I have been trying super hard with it, and I hope everything will work out for you. Stay Beautiful love, Thanks.