Land of the "Free" | Teen Ink

Land of the "Free"

By lesbi-honest-now BRONZE, Franklin, Louisiana
lesbi-honest-now BRONZE, Franklin, Louisiana

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

"Land of the free and the home of the brave", does this line ring a bell. Its the last line of our nation's anthem and our country's motto. Do you believe it cause i sure don't. They say that we have freedom but we still live with plenty of restrictions and limitations. A person that appears to be any other race than white is treated different because of their skin pigmentation. A man can go around and be married and have all the sex he wants and it will be fine but the second a woman does it she is already deemed to be a whore or a slut. A Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,or Transgender person can't walk out of there house without being crucified by today's ignorant society. That's not free to me, is it. Its hard to be brave in this country. If a woman who is dressed slightly inappropriate is raped it is automatically her fault. If a crime is committed and someone sees nobody will go to the police out of fear. If someone takes up for the underdog they are looked down for doing the right thing. Enough is Enough. When it comes to people taking their lives due to the mistreatment, abuse, and the feeling of unimportance they receive from their peers every day. As said in one of my favorite songs "You are beautiful no matter what they say and words can't bring you down". They don't and won't bring us down and don't make a life changing decision based on a temporary problem because, It Gets Better.

What inspired me to write this article was when i was watching an Oprah segment on being gay in america and it talked a lot on how america treats and discriminates against gay people and how they are treated as 2nd class citizens and in the commericals of this segment a U.S. Army commerical and the speaker said something like "would you like to step up and defend the land of the free and the home of the brave, be a solider and join the us army" and then it hit me. It hit me how much hypocrisy was in the last line of our national anthem. We claim to be the land of the free and the home of the brave but we discriminate against everything.First the Native Americans, then African
Americans, then the Immigrants, then Women, and now its the Gays. When will america stop!