No Guy Is Worth A Friendship | Teen Ink

No Guy Is Worth A Friendship

By G.Torres BRONZE, Watsonville, California
G.Torres BRONZE, Watsonville, California

No Guy Is Worth a Friendship

It was a Monday morning. I was getting off my bus. I could smell the fresh misty air, the smell of a great day; I walked through the halls of La Palma High School, there were a lot of kids wanting to get to their lockers. I mean, it was literally packed!
Finally! I got to my locker as well.
“Daisy!” I turned to the left, and saw my best friend calling me.
Angie is the only girl I trust. She’s an amazing average size girl, about 5’5 feet tall; beautiful long raven hair and light bronze eyes.
“Angie!” I happily responded.
She walked towards me, gave me hug and asked me how I was.
“Good! What about you?” I replied.
“It’s going good, you know just with Manuel.”
Manuel is Angie’s boyfriend. They've been going out for about 2 months now. Angie was deeply in love with him. She would do anything for him. I’m not going to lie; he’s a tall handsome guy, 5’9 to be exact. He has big long eyelashes with some big mahogany eyes, and his big muscular body too. No wonder Angie fell in love with him. Who wouldn't right?
Except. . . I knew he wasn't totally perfect.
Before Manuel came into the picture, Angie and I would always hangout after school. We were so close, we were basically sisters. Since we were next door neighbors, Angie would always sleep over at my house and I would sleep over at her house.
But everything changed.
Angie started going out more with Manuel. They would always go to parties, the mall, and school football games. Since both of their families knew each other; their parents didn't have a problem with them dating. Manuel was 20 and Angie was 16. The age didn't matter to them, well because they “loved “each other.
At first, I was okay with it because I knew he was her boyfriend and of course, they needed time alone to hangout.
About a month passed.
I started to miss her. We've never gone this long without talking or hanging out. She wouldn't message me and I wouldn't message her either because I knew she would be with him.
*phone rings*
I looked at my phone. It was Angie, I didn't know if I should answer or not. But I answered either way.
"Hello?" I said.
"Heyyy! What you up too?" Angie asked excitedly, like if we had the same communication as before.
In my mind I was mad and upset with her.
“Um. Nothing. Just finishing up some homework I have. What about you? Where have you been?" I said in a cold voice.
"Oh nothing, just been focusing on school work. You know how Luna is, always giving us a bunch of work.”
I knew she was lying because I have Luna too, different period of course but why would she lie about that? I knew she was with Manuel all this time.
“Oh uh yeah, well that's good."
I mean, why would she lie? Right? I didn't say anything though. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.
“Hey, you want to go to the mall?" She questioned me.
"Right now?" confusedly I asked.
“Yeah right now!” she said giggling.
I was still mad but I said to myself, “I shouldn't let this get to me." And I didn't, I agreed to go.
“Oh okay, I’ll be ready in 30 minutes.” Excitedly I clicked.
*30 minutes passed*
I looked outside and Manuel’s car was there.

“Why is his car there? We’re suppose to go to the mall.” I thought to myself.
I went to my room upstairs to get my phone since I was letting it charge for a while before I left. I grabbed it and came down the stairs. I peeked through the window once again. Manuel’s car wasn't there. I thought he had left, so I decided to call Angie.
She didn't answer. I must have called about 4 times. I was frustrated already but I waited and waited and she never called back. I was really disappointed. I went outside and waited for her on my slate rocky burnt doorsteps.
*9:30pm* not a single sign of her.
*10:50* nothing.
It was about to be 12. She finally came home.
“Angie! Tf. Where did you go? I was waiting for you!” impatiently I yelled.
“I went with Manuel to the theater!” she yelled back.
“Okay and why would you go? You had told me to go to the mall with you and you just leave me here waiting? Really!?” I answered madly.
“Dude, you don’t…”
“I don’t what? Whatever Angie”
I didn't let her finish, I was so mad at her and of course upset. I have been her best friend for many years and she blew me off for a guy that has known for about 3 months or so.
I walked away and went inside my house.
After that argument we had, months passed and we didn't talk at all. I wouldn't see her either.
It was Sunday in the afternoon. I was throwing out the bitter trash in my front slim porch. I noticed her sitting down on her doorsteps. I didn't say a word to her.
As I was going back inside I heard my name. It was Angie’s voice. I looked back and saw her walking towards me.
“I’m so sorry!” she said whimpering. I took a deep breath. I didn't want to look at her. What she did really had hurt me. I kept walking inside. Soon after that, I felt a strong grip. I turned and looked at her deeply in the eyes.
She started apologizing to me for not being a good friend. She started to cry, kept repeating “sorry.”

“Its okay Angie, its okay” I said hugging her and comforting her.
I honestly didn't know why she was crying if she rarely cries. I knew it wasn't because of how she acted towards me.
“What’s wrong Angie?” I asked her. She looked down. I could see her tears falling from her cheeks. She took a deep breath, looked to the side, looked up and then looked at me.
“Well Manuel and I broke up last night.” She said sobbing.
“What? Why? Weren't you guys so in love?” I confusedly asked. I had a weird looking face but I wasn't really that shocked. I knew he wasn't a good guy, especially for Angie. She’s such a sweetheart, and a guy like Manuel doesn't deserve a girl like Angie.
“I thought he loved me! He’s a liar! I hate him!!” she said pouring her eyes out.
“What happened?” I asked. I whipped her tears off; I didn't like seeing her like that. It’s not a good feeling seeing your best friend cry.
“A week ago, we…we hooked up. I spent the night at his house. His parents weren't there. And we, we actually did it. He dropped me off later that morning. Everything seemed fine. But the next day, he didn't talk to me. I tried messaging him but he didn't reply. I tried calling him a bunch of times but he wouldn't answer!”
She sounded really heartbroken. I mean, who wouldn't be, right? I really felt bad for her. I never really liked Manuel, not because he was the reason Angie and I distanced ourselves but because he didn't seem like a truthful guy to me.
I hugged her and whispered, “I honestly don’t know what to say, other than I’m sorry. Have you tried calling him lately?” I compassionately asked.
“No.” she said whipping her tears away.
“What’s his number? Let me call him.” I asked.
I dialed.
No one answered.
“It said the number was no longer in service.” I told Angie.

“Omg! That b****!”
Her eyes widely opened. You could see how pissed off she was.
I tried calming her down. It seemed like it was going to be impossible, there wasn't any point for her to cry if he was gone.
We walked inside my house. I started to talk about something else. Hoping she would forget about Manuel for right now.
She did.
Some weeks passed and Angie looked better. Things had gotten back to normal. We would hangout everyday again, like those old good times.
*Monday morning*
It was a lovely bright day. The sun was really glowing. Angie and I decided to go walking to school.
As we got inside, kids were giggling and pointing fingers. We didn't know what was going on. All we could hear in the background was, “look at the hoe” and “nasty b****.”
Out of the nowhere, I got a message from an unknown number. I opened it.
It was Angie! I couldn't believe it. It was a picture of her naked and a video, doing nasty things.
Angie looked over my shoulder. She ran outside crying. I ran outside to calm her down, but I couldn't.
“Ma…Ma…Manuel! Ugh bastard!” she said angrily.
“What about Manuel?” I said as if I petted her back, trying to calm her down.
“He did this!” her voice sounded painfully hurt.
I wasn't so surprised he had done this. I knew from the start he wasn't someone you could trust.
We left home. She didn't want to be at school, and I went with her.
The next day she didn't feel like going either.
I stood by her. I knew she really needed a friend to be there for her through that rough time of hers.
*About a month passed*
Angie wasn't ready to return to school yet. I tried convincing her to go.
“You have to face this sooner or later Angie” I said.
“I know, I think I’m finally ready.” She said confidently.
We walked to school. As we were entering the hallway, we saw everyone just staring. Angie knew she had to ignore them, keep living her life and that’s what she did.
I was still shocked by what Manuel had done. He was the last person I’d thought would do such thing to Angie since he would always show how much he “loved” her. It was clear he wasn't the kind of guy everyone thought he was.
As time passed, everyone eventually got over the whole picture and video riot. Till this day, we never heard of Manuel ever again. . .

mplo said...
on May. 9 2016 at 9:57 am
Kudos to you for sticking up for a best friend whose nasty boyfriend totally degraded her and made her a target for school bullies. We can only salute you!