Peer Pressure | Teen Ink

Peer Pressure

Peer Pressure
There are many different signs of peer pressure. Negative and positive are two of the most different signs of peer pressure, which can happen to both child and adult. In this essay, there will be facts and important details to prove my statement about peer pressure being negative and positive.
Many teenagers in the United States or any part of the world have experience negative or positive peer pressure. In the article entitled. “Stand Up For Yourself”, by Shah Monica, it was stated that peer pressure can be unspoken or spoken. For instance, unspoken pressure is something you feel without anyone saying anything to you. This usually happens when you see someone with something that you want, and it affects the way you act towards them. Another example can be when many teens join a gang because (s)he doesn’t have a family or some place they feel they belong or accepted. Then again, joining a gang can have its ups and its downs, you might have to do something which isn’t right, but you’ll do it anyways just to fit in. this then leads to negative peer pressure.
Unspoken peer pressure can also have negative and positive effects on a person or peer. Another thing that was stated in the article was, to be confident, and surround yourself with someone who’s not afraid to say “no”. This will end up helping your self esteem and boost your confidence. Another article, “Peer Pressure Power”, written by Lynn Brunelle, explains that certain peer pressure can influence a child to do something risky or life threatening. In the article, it illustrated that a person might pressure another to do something grievous or causing harm. As in playing a prank on an elderly or stealing something from a store. Which someone should think about before doing or agreed to what is being asked. Brunelle also explains that your peers can influence your decisions and behaviors every day.
On the other hand, peer pressure can also be positive. In the third and final article, “Battling Peer Pressure”, author Fanning Karen explains that not only teens get pressured by peers but so do adults. She also states that peer pressure can serve as a positive tool. Meaning, someone can influence you to join a club or getting into college, which can be very beneficial. Also when you stand up for yourself, you may lose some friends because you are standing up for what you believe is right. Although few people may think peer pressure lead into different things, it can be both profiting and a disadvantage.
Finally, peer pressure can be influenced by a peer or a group. It can be both negative and positive, which can most likely take place between adults or teens. Battling peer pressure can also lead to you building up your self esteem and confidence. Always remember to think before you act and if someone is pressuring you, to do something you know is wrong, speak up for yourself or talk to an adult.