A Letter to Burn | Teen Ink

A Letter to Burn

By I-Drink-Too-Much-Tea BRONZE, Nablus, Other
I-Drink-Too-Much-Tea BRONZE, Nablus, Other

"I will do something by and by. Don’t care what, teach, sew, act, write, anything to help the family; and I’ll be rich and famous and happy before I die, see if I won’t!" -Louisa May Alcott

Hey you. Yes you. You say a lot of crap that hurts me. You can't have a conversation with me -or anyone else for that matter- without handing out insults the way some people hand out gum -a nonchalant, careless way that says that you don't have to care even when you cut me.

At first, it was nothing but a mere nip with the tip of your blade, it hurt, but only like a finger-prick - suddenly and easily forgotten. My wound healed, leaving only a small, red mark. Then you cut me in that same place some more times, and I got an ugly scab, but still -it wasn't worth mentioning, was it? You're still my friend and I still love you, don't I? Then, after many months, I had an open gash in the middle of my soul so deep that only I could feel it and suffer from it. You didn't even give it the chance to fade away into a scar, you went on and on and on until I got tired. Just oh, so tired.

And I decided that when people are tired, they fall asleep. So I took pills to help me sleep, and then I needed more and I couldn't stop.

But you could have. You could have stopped whenever you wanted to, and yet you didn't. And I've put up with you for long enough. So I decided to make your cuts visible, maybe someone will see it, maybe someone would understand.

But no one did.

So tonight I decided to cut my last cut. To make it final. To write this note to you. This letter is not to make you feel better about yourself tomorrow when I'm gone. This is a letter to burn you. To remind you that I won't forgive . Or forget.

You told me to go to hell, so I did.

I'll see you there.

Just to make this clear, THIS IS FICTION. No, I don't want to kill myself! But I got thinking about WHY someone would be desperate enough to take their own life. So 'A Letter to Burn' was born.

Zoya_Khan GOLD said...
on Jan. 28 2013 at 10:31 am
Zoya_Khan GOLD, Gujranwala, Other

Where LOGIC ends, FAITH begins.
- Zoya Khan

Very well-written... Keep it up :) :) :)

on Jan. 28 2013 at 8:48 am
It's terrible that we live in a world where these things happen...great, emotional portrayal. I like your writing style--keep writing.

on Jan. 28 2013 at 6:04 am
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

This is really good! It made me feel strong even though the person is going to kill themself. I really like this :) Well done!