Bystander

Chirag was the newbie.Newbie meant new people to bully.He was sitting across the desk from me. Vivek and Serug approached him. Vivek began by teasing him, Serug by a hard blow on his head.Students gathered around them to watch the facade.The poor boy was crying his eyes out.No one came forward. No one came to his rescue.I too stood there doing nothing at all - Chirag I barely knew; I had known Serug and Vivek for 3 years now.How should I intervene?I barely know this chap.What if I am harmed?Who will come to my rescue?
A sudden flash.What if I was there in Chirag's place and he in mine. Wouldn't I have wanted his help?I would not have wanted boys to scream at me and girls laugh whilst I am being beaten mercilessly through no fault of my own.
I approach them.They look at me.I am frightened.I tell them to stop bullying Chirag. They frown and say '"Until next time !@#$%#".They leave. I breath a sigh of relief.I lend Chirag a hand.He gets up and thanks me.Today we are good fiends. Serug and Vivek have kept their hands off him ever since they saw that people could stand up to them.

Today, I read about a student being bullied so much that he was driven to suicide.I shudder.The student's life would have been spared had there been no bystanders.Cowards.

TorakageThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 11:36 am:
Those who hurt people are not human in my eyes X(

Xizzio said...
Feb. 2 at 10:13 am:
I really enjoyed your piece it was great what you did by standing up to him, and you're right, a lot of people are too coward to do what you did.

WolfWest13 replied...
Feb. 9 at 6:59 am :
Thanks Xizzio! We need to stand up.We need to be the change we want to see in the world.