The Girl Who Turned in Alexander Carter's Math Homework This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

"Shut up, you nerd. Nobody cares."

I watched as the helpless, tiny boy with glasses that barely traced his eyes was shoved against the wall, papers flying everywhere and evil laughter sprinkling through the air. My eyes hurt just looking at the poor boy, and I stumbled forward to help retrieve his paperwork. He sent a half-smile in my direction, but it was replaced by wide eyes and a twisted, confused mouth when I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw a shadow pass over the boy's face.

"So, you've decided to help him out, eh?"

I gulped and did not turn around. I had no nerve, my hands were shaking, and my glasses were about as bad as the boy's had been.

"Cute. Nerd love. See this, guys? It's nerd love."

Laughter peppered the air again, and I could feel it burning my tongue, persuading me to speak.
The hard hands pushed me against the wall, spraying the boy's papers that I had been trying to retrieve all over the hallway.

"Nerd love," he whimpered sarcastically, "Too cute."

He followed his words with another shove on my shoulders and more peppery laughter. He turned slowly, but whipped himself around again and said, "Better watch out, nerds. The teachers are watching."
He and his buddies laughed together and walked away.

I turned to look at the boy and collect the scattered papers.

He was gone.

I bent to pick up the nearest paper; it was some complicated math that I had yet to solve. However, the boy had easily deciphered each problem with neat script. I looked at the page behind it, expecting to see the complicated work behind the neat answers.

That is not what I saw.

There was a note from the boy.

The note was in neat script.

I read:

To whom it may concern,

I've been bullied throughout my entire existence up until now, and I honestly can't stand it anymore.
My name is Alexander Carter, and I don't want to live on this Earth anymore. Don't try and stop me. By the time somebody important reads this letter, I'll be long gone. Don't miss me.

Make sure my math teacher gets my homework.

Sincerely,
Alexander Carter

mmb77 said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm:
This is so chilling, and scary. I wonder how I would even respond to something like that. Great story!

Jetta_WroteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm :
Thank you so much. (:

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm:
This is beautiful. I really think it is nice, i don't know about inspirational because, what, am i inspired to turn in some kids homework so he wont kill himself...thats sad, but I'm being harsh...i loved it really, and i like how the title is the ending, thats really cool. Great job

Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm :
I completely understand! I  don't think it's meant to be inspirational; rather, I think it's just supposed to open the reader's eyes to the obvious world around them. Thank you so much for the feedback, though! I'll be glad to check out your work as well.

WhenItRains21 said...
Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:48 am:
I've honestly never read something that has given me chills like this. Not just because it's such a paunful reality, but because it was written very well. I was so caught up in the story that I never saw the end coming. 
The characters felt so real, especially at the end, when Alexander makes sure his homework is turned in. 
This is just so great. I love how you ended - it leaves so many questions open. Great job!

WhenItRains21 replied...
Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:49 am :
Oops! Forgot. I especially loved the "peppery laughter." 
I had to add that. xD

Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm :
Gosh... Thank you SOO much! Wow... I honestly wrote this on impulse, and I never thought that it would be this well-received... Thank you!!

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm:
Awesome.  So painfully realistic.  Definitely deserving of an editor's choice, and I"m surprised it didn't get in the magazine.  Good descritption and suspence, especially with the shortness of the story.  Really cool :)

Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:13 pm :
Oh my gosh... Thank you SO much! It really means a lot! ((: Wow, that made my day. I'll definitely check out some of your work. Thank you again!

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm :
You're welcome!

TomDuff said...
Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:40 am:
I really liked this! Excellent twist at the end too! Gave me a chill!

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm :
Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback! (:

flanny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm:
Wow...this almost made me cry. Very moving

Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm :
Thanks! (:

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really well done! I love the sad, heartfelt twist at the end

Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm :
Thank you! (:

ClaireBearB replied...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm :
That was so good I really loved it. I liked how you described everything- the boy, the laughter, the homework- so well. You're a good writer! XXX- Claire

Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm :
Many thanks!!