She's the Girl | Teen Ink

She's the Girl

By angelicarusk BRONZE, Woodstock, Georgia
angelicarusk BRONZE, Woodstock, Georgia

She’s the girl that sits next to you in class. Known either as the girl with the funny hair, the girl who’s over weight, or the girl with the big nose - no one bothers to remember her name. She's the girl that’s always the center of a joke; the one that’s constantly being called names and picked on, yet no one does anything about it. She’s the girl you don’t talk to because you believe all of those awful things others had said about her. She's the girl that doesn't fit in.

That girl is lonely, having no one to laugh with, no one to smile with and no one to call a friend. Walking down the school halls, she waves hello to you with a smile, but you turn the other way because you don’t know how much she really means it. Every day she walks to lunch, she sees all the other girls laughing and smiling with their many friends. She wishes to have just one person to call her own. That girl sits alone, because no one wants to sit with an outcast. And when she comes home to escape all of those problems, she comes home to only be placed in the middle of her parents’ divorce being told to take a side. When it’s over, she sits in her bedroom bottling up all of her feelings because she has no one to talk to, she has no one to cheer her up and to tell her everything's going to be okay.

All she wanted was someone to talk to. She’s beating herself down by the harsh words of others and her own loneliness. All she wanted was a simple hello in the halls, a simple “How are you?” or “Are you okay?” All she wanted was a friend because now, she’ll be going home tonight to open up her family’s medicine cabinet. When she finds the prescription drug, she’ll take one, and then another, and then another, until she realizes the bottles empty. She’ll slowly lose grip of her own consciousness, watching her own mother cradling herself in her arms as she screams, believing it was all her fault as the ambulance arrives. That girl sees her father crying for the first time, telling himself that he should have been easier on her, that it could have saved her. She sees her life slowly slipping away, until she finally takes her last breath.

She was the girl that tried countless times to start a conversation with you, to be your friend. She was dying in her own silence because you never bothered to talk to her those countless days she said hello to you. She was the girl that took her own life, the girl who would still be alive if she had just one friend. She was the girl that could have been saved if you would have stopped judging and just got to know her. She was the girl, you never bothered to help.

In my school, we have many discussions and conversations about bullying with our administrators and teachers, yet no one believes it's a problem in our school. No one believes that there are bully victims in their class. However, they're wrong. Many students of my class like to come to me for advice, I honestly do not know why, but they know I can keep a secret. And in the past year, I can name more than ten fellow students in just my classes alone, that have either suffered from bullying or depression from bullying. I wrote this article in dedication to them, because I wanted to tell my class that bullying is a problem in our school, and that bullying can lead to much bigger problems such as depression and suicide. I wanted to tell my fellow classmates that this needs to stop before it gets too far, and all that needs to be done is simply start a conversation with someone who looks sad, or sit next to the guy/girl who is eating all alone at lunch. All it takes is such a simple hello or smile, to make such a big difference in someone's life.

on Jun. 19 2012 at 5:50 am
Stand_Up BRONZE, Jensen Beach, Florida

am neither somebody nor nobody, but myself plain and simple.

~ Who I Am (report that I wrote personally for school) by Alli Evans

I don't know how in the world this has received no comments yet.

All I can saw is WOW. This gave me chills, and let me tell you - I do NOT get chills alot when I read articles. What a powerful message! Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for posting that.