New York Times Bullying Essay | Teen Ink

New York Times Bullying Essay

May 27, 2012
By xXDemonRAGEXx BRONZE, Cincinnai, Ohio
xXDemonRAGEXx BRONZE, Cincinnai, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -Anonymous-


The topic at hand is bullying. I myself have been a victim of bullying in the past and still am to this day. Whether it is for my weight, my personality, my interests, I don’t know. People seem to have this deep desire to be accepted by their peers and some will go to any lengths to accomplish that mean. Bullies will do anything to make themselves feel good about themselves, even if that means to put someone else down, make someone else feel like they’re less important or don’t belong with a group of people. I see it every day, and it happens to me every day. I just can’t believe that someone could be so cruel as to make someone else doubt their own worth. If everyone could see that standing up against it in mass, in a group, this issue would be less of a problem in our country.

Bullies don’t care who you are or where you came from, what your circumstances are or how they make you feel, they just do what they want to make themselves feel like they belong. I’ve heard stories of people killing themselves because of what bullies have done to them. They feel like they can’t go to anyone so they take it to the extreme of ending their own life. It’s a sad fact that most of the teen suicides in our country are an after effect of bullying. Why does this happen? How can we help these people or how can we stop the abuse at schools worldwide. First off, we can get parents and teachers truly involved in watching and punishing for the abuse.

I know how it feels for someone to put you down, make you feel like you aren’t good enough, like you don’t belong. I don’t know why, but I was a target in my grade school. I am a larger person, and at recess, instead of running around and playing games, I would sit at a bench and just read. Most of the time I was left alone, but sometimes people would make remarks regarding my weight and how if I did something at recess I might not be like I am. I learned to shrug off their comments and jokes, but sometimes they would get to me. I’ve spent nights wondering what my purpose in this world it, and I’m starting to realize it. I want to make people aware of this problem in our schools, how much abuse is happening. My case may not be the most severe, but I still know what it’s like to feel alone, like I couldn’t turn to anyone. There are much more serious instances where the abuse is more than verbal and goes as far as telling someone that they are a waste of life, or don’t deserve to be alive. In a position like that, it feels like no one can help.

Parents, teachers, get involved, stop this, do something. Because at this rate, things will only get worse.