Over the Edge

Picture a young, teenage boy; He has no friends and he is ignored at home. His family doesn’t have much money for clothes, so he often wears the same outfits. The things he wears are dark in color; he just wants to blend in. These efforts are pointless because he is still singled out. He’s called dirty and made fun of for the way he dresses; no matter what, he just can’t fit in. He’s alone and miserable; he’s angry at the world and God for letting it be this way. He’s approaching a new state of mind: depression. His life is grueling, with constant barrages of hate inflicted upon him. Whether they are verbal or physical, to him, they all mean one thing: nobody cares about him. He just wants it all to be over.

Bullying is a growing trend in American schools. It is a double edged sword that destroys the lives of targets one small blow at a time. Kids all over are singled out just like this. Some try to justify the things they do by saying that they are simply kidding, or the target shouldn’t have taken it so seriously. In reality, this is the worst kind of bullying. People convince themselves that the things they say are perfectly fine, and without even realizing it, continue to bombard a target with consistent hatred. These seemingly innocent words are often the ones that will leave the biggest impact on their victims and affect them the most after an extended period of time.

Everyday teens are committing suicide because they cannot take the abuse any longer. They hate lives because of the way they are treated. From now on, when that “weird kid” is sitting alone, isolated from everyone else, or trying to join in on what is going on, instead of striking that person with the blade of hatred, say something nice and make that person feel accepted, because nobody knows exactly how close that person may be to the edge. Before the blow is made, think: how would it feel to deliver the final blow – the one that sends a person over the edge – the one that ends a life?

Sev_Wymer said...
today at 2:36 pm:
This is me more or less... I tell my self "Only a few more years." or "They  dont mean it." really it hurts if I didn't have the music that inspires me I wouldve probably been dead by now because this word is  very hatefull place.. It sucks some days but I try my hardest to get by.

lizzyj195 said...
Jan. 1 at 6:05 pm:
This left me without words. It's something a lot of people need to see, and it can bring an impact upon schools. Great job! 

Lil Lanning said...
May 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm:

I personaly know the author of this article... and its great to know that he cares

Sev_Wymer replied...
today at 2:31 pm :
Tell him to keep up his writting i like it and that he did a very good job.

Lucky Lucy said...
May 8, 2012 at 7:17 am:
GREAT ESSAY! This is a wonderful essay ! vvery powerful and touching to the heart! Everyone should read this essay. It is something everyone needs to experience reading! I don't know who wrote it but they are a great author! They must have spent a lot of time working on how the word choice fits together! This is the best artical I have ever read! Great Job!