Praying Alone- Being Muslim in America

When I decided to become Muslim, no one was happy for me. No one smiled, shook my hand, patted me on the back, or gave me a hug. No, they smirked, they laughed, they grimaced, they pursed their lips to imprison the words that nearly escaped. Some let those words free. Each syllable danced on their tongues, their lips violently shifting to conjure up insults, allegations, words of disappointment and hatred. I wished I could cover my face, shield it from the insults. But something stopped me. That something stops us all. Those who kept their lips tight or their face a guise, they were stopped by a knowing of what is right to do, of knowing that what others say isn't as important as what you believe in. And as I stood there, my father's disapproving eyes piercing straight to the heart, my mother's lip-biting clenching my throat closed, I knew my belief in Allah was what would guide me and support me, a buttress to a crumbling building bombarded by bombs and rockets, spewed from the mouths and eyes of those around me. Yet, that feeling extends outside of home, onto the streets, into the classrooms, on national television, movies, books. That stigma to be Muslim, the anti-Islam crusade in America, affects me, an American, a Caucasian, a student, a human being.

angelpeach23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 6:06 pm:
I am not Muslim myself, but I emphasize with religious stigma. Last sentence is beautiful, good work!

CrystalAngelDol said...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:15 am:
i loved it, i know how you feel, 9/11 was like my first day of school in the U.S, if you have any questions you can always ask me

Virtue19 said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:23 am:
That is so sad and beautiful! Never let what others say go to your head. Because, ulitimately, you will have the last laugh. You should write a amemoir or something. It really is difficult when converting religions. I hope God continues to help you on your never-ending jouney.=)

DynamoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:38 am :

You have done exceddingly well by candidily declaring your faith. Its what you must be proud of. And I agree, the Anti-Muslim crusade is really something to worry about.

When did you convert? I am singularly interested in someone converting to my own religion 

codyabenbowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:11 am :
I converted this January. you are Muslim?

Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm :
Yeah, I am a Muslim. If you ever need any kinda help regarding Islam, you can find me. I'm active on the Philosophy forums.   Thanks!