Silent No More MAG

“Is he gay?”
"I think so.”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.”
“Ask him.”
“Hey, are you–”

The last period bell cut off the cacophony of fresh gossip. My ears burned with embarrassment, and I walked away as quickly as possible, feeling clunky and awkward. There had always been rumors about my sexual orientation, but the painfully straightforward questions made me cringe. I tried to shrug off the girls' malice as ignorance, but I became preoccupied with thought. My blood rose with anger as I heard their laughter in the background. Inhibitions blinded, I rashly shouted, “Some people are so rude!”

“You f-----t!”

“Wow! I haven't heard that before. You have to be the wittiest people I've encountered.”

This would have been a perfect response if I had said it aloud. In reality, as a shy, easily embarrassed freshman, I had yet to stand up for myself, let alone defend my sexual orientation. I wanted to tell someone what had happened, but I was too embarrassed by the situation. I had experienced gay jokes and “playful” comments before, but the hateful word those girls had used felt like a knife in my chest. A myriad of insecurity, second-guessing, and self-denial ­silenced me.

After weeks of agonizing and hiding the secret, I promised myself that I would never be silenced again. Gradually, I came out to my closest friends, then my sister, and finally my parents. With their support, I grew more comfortable, and I saw changes in my disposition. My face no longer reddened at the mention of homosexuality, and instead of slouching away from intrusive questions, I proudly proclaimed, “Yes, I am gay.”

It is difficult for me to pinpoint the moment of my epiphany, but as I gained confidence, I was finally able to face the ignorance and homophobia in my school. I spoke up with authority, and people began to listen and respect me. They recognized that I was not weak because of my sexual orientation and that I would not degrade myself with silence.

I became a leader in my school, and during sophomore year, I joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. My participation has helped me accept myself and forgive those girls and the others who have hurt me with their ignorance.

Hate is unproductive. I've learned that I cannot hold grudges or become bitter toward people who try to hurt me; their hate comes from misinformation and ignorance. My experiences have helped me to better understand homophobic people and to see the good in many of them.

My trials have been a blessing in disguise. Though I was knocked down, I built myself back up with clear goals and responsibilities. I now have two objectives: to provide a safe community for gay students, and to educate those who harass us.

on Feb. 16 2015 at 5:02 pm
Scribbler16 BRONZE, Hartland, WI, Wisconsin
This is awesome, I'm glad you stood up for yourself.

Sonic said...
on Feb. 11 2015 at 4:10 pm
I have a motoe. "Just because im... "Straght", dose not mean you have to be straght too". I think alot of the problems that people have with other peoples, "sexuallity?" is set in stone. Its like in the south they fly the confederate flag over the american flag. People who hate other people just because of their, "sexuallity?" are not going to go away completley because some people are set in stone. I think I wrote this right? I'm not shur so sorry if I wrote something wrong that afends people.

embura BRONZE said...
on Feb. 6 2015 at 10:12 am
embura BRONZE, Northview, South Dakota

I will not live forever because I cannot live forever and if I could live forever then I would live forever, but since I cannot live forever then I will not live forever.

Nobody shouldn't judge you or anyone just because their gay. I'm glad you came out. I'm straight, but you have a right to love who you want! I hope your life is a lot easier now, :) Thanks for writing that, it made me think.

on Jan. 6 2015 at 1:00 pm
Shaylia Kursim, Cincinnati, Ohio
Like some people say..... you have to stand out to be normal. The bullies are the ones that are weird. :)

on Dec. 31 2014 at 4:04 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

I am glad you stood up for yourself, and it feels nice to read you do not hold grudges and find hate unproductive'. :)

beemariee said...
on Dec. 29 2014 at 11:37 pm
beemariee, San Antonio, Texas

"Don't let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game"

This is so awesome. i am one to support gay rights and this is the perfect example of bullying. congrats to you for standing up to yourself. they do say, "Not all heros wear capes"

Ronny BRONZE said...
on Dec. 17 2014 at 6:08 pm
Ronny BRONZE, Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

"I may not know who I was born to be, but I know who I am."
(That's an original quote I'm using in my book)

Great atricle!!!! you have great writing abilities!

on Dec. 9 2014 at 12:09 pm
Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York

Truth has many shades. It's not a matter of black and white, but many grays.

this contains a perfect balance of a lesson/message to change the world, and personal insight to a world problem!!!!

on Nov. 30 2014 at 1:58 am
Inspirer BRONZE, Buckner, Missouri

Don't follow your dreams, chase them!!!!

It will be fine. There is absoulutly nothig wrong with it. Stay positive! Stay strong!

Mo-Con BRONZE said...
on Nov. 18 2014 at 2:24 pm
Mo-Con BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Our past is a story. Our future is it's sequel."

This story is a great example of bullying situatons and what a victim shoud do. Although I felt it was a little one sided. Not everyone can just do what your charecter did and maybe you could have metioned that a little.

dani said...
on Nov. 11 2014 at 1:39 pm
i think its good that this guy came out and people gave him respect 

on Nov. 5 2014 at 9:23 pm
HoseSkater PLATINUM, Mercersburg, Pennsylvania

"You are not popular by the number of friends you have but, by the number of true friends you have." --Me

I have not been in your particular situation, but I have been in one similar. Last year it took me almost all school year to tell anyone whast was going on. I was bullied for 8 years and last year it was the worst year yet. It has to get worse before it gets better right. But, going back to the situation, my vice prinicpal had been in my situation when he was my age. I know I should have told someone sooner, becasue now I don't get picked on at all. All you have to do to stop the situation is tell someone the truth, and get it off your chest. That is really the only way that you can deal with any bullying situation.  With your situation, I think it was great of you to share yor story. When I finally told my story my vice principal yelled at me for writing it... I said, "Its not my fault I can write." You really know how low teenagers can really go. Sorry you had to learnthe hard way like I did.

on Nov. 3 2014 at 2:18 pm
Sev_Wymer BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
They dont have the right to judge you for what you believe in.

Bree0 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 27 2014 at 1:44 pm
Bree0 BRONZE, Bradford, Pennsylvania

Be the change you want to see in the world -Sara tenkredi

I kind of went through the same thing and I always thought that there was something wrong with me. Theres not there is nothing wrong with me. I just prefer the same gender. I thought no one wounld understand but after a while people started being alot more nice about my prefrences.

on Oct. 21 2014 at 6:01 pm
The_Narrator SILVER, Raymond, Mississippi

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." -J.F.K.

I completely agree. I'm straight, but I've been harrassed due to my metrosexuality. This world, this society, needs to grow up and realize that what we need at this moment is equality. I'm so thankful that the generation I am growing up with is ready to make a move. 

Asuna BRONZE said...
on Oct. 20 2014 at 10:11 pm
Asuna BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

“Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."-Edward Elric
Voiced: Romi Park and Vic Mignogna

this comment...is perfect...

on Oct. 13 2014 at 10:45 am
AlliNeedisMusic SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I agree!!!

on Oct. 13 2014 at 10:44 am

It is about time we stand up for EVERYONE, not just those who are "Normal". Be proud of who you are! I am tortured on a daily basis because I am unsure about my sexuality, but I just try to keep my head up and stay positive.

PoojaYuki said...
on Oct. 12 2014 at 1:46 am
PoojaYuki, Kathmandu, Other

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe

I'm bisexual myself and when i first came out (which was last year)..I received a lot of hate; both online and in real life but its better now. I wish I could tell my parents and my cousins but they're all pretty much very narrow-minded and wouldnt accept my orientation.

lourdez said...
on Sep. 26 2014 at 3:57 pm
lourdez, Merced, California
that is right no talking abut others if u dont know the whole story

Swoon Reads

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!