Silent No More This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Is he gay?”
"I think so.”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.”
“Ask him.”
“Hey, are you–”

The last period bell cut off the cacophony of fresh gossip. My ears burned with embarrassment, and I walked away as quickly as possible, feeling clunky and awkward. There had always been rumors about my sexual orientation, but the painfully straightforward questions made me cringe. I tried to shrug off the girls' malice as ignorance, but I became preoccupied with thought. My blood rose with anger as I heard their laughter in the background. Inhibitions blinded, I rashly shouted, “Some people are so rude!”

“You f-----t!”

“Wow! I haven't heard that before. You have to be the wittiest people I've encountered.”

This would have been a perfect response if I had said it aloud. In reality, as a shy, easily embarrassed freshman, I had yet to stand up for myself, let alone defend my sexual orientation. I wanted to tell someone what had happened, but I was too embarrassed by the situation. I had experienced gay jokes and “playful” comments before, but the hateful word those girls had used felt like a knife in my chest. A myriad of insecurity, second-guessing, and self-denial ­silenced me.

After weeks of agonizing and hiding the secret, I promised myself that I would never be silenced again. Gradually, I came out to my closest friends, then my sister, and finally my parents. With their support, I grew more comfortable, and I saw changes in my disposition. My face no longer reddened at the mention of homosexuality, and instead of slouching away from intrusive questions, I proudly proclaimed, “Yes, I am gay.”

It is difficult for me to pinpoint the moment of my epiphany, but as I gained confidence, I was finally able to face the ignorance and homophobia in my school. I spoke up with authority, and people began to listen and respect me. They recognized that I was not weak because of my sexual orientation and that I would not degrade myself with silence.

I became a leader in my school, and during sophomore year, I joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. My participation has helped me accept myself and forgive those girls and the others who have hurt me with their ignorance.

Hate is unproductive. I've learned that I cannot hold grudges or become bitter toward people who try to hurt me; their hate comes from misinformation and ignorance. My experiences have helped me to better understand homophobic people and to see the good in many of them.

My trials have been a blessing in disguise. Though I was knocked down, I built myself back up with clear goals and responsibilities. I now have two objectives: to provide a safe community for gay students, and to educate those who harass us.

Mo-Con said...
today at 2:24 pm:
This story is a great example of bullying situatons and what a victim shoud do. Although I felt it was a little one sided. Not everyone can just do what your charecter did and maybe you could have metioned that a little.

dani said...
Nov. 11 at 1:39 pm:
i think its good that this guy came out and people gave him respect 

HoseSkaterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 5 at 9:23 pm:
I have not been in your particular situation, but I have been in one similar. Last year it took me almost all school year to tell anyone whast was going on. I was bullied for 8 years and last year it was the worst year yet. It has to get worse before it gets better right. But, going back to the situation, my vice prinicpal had been in my situation when he was my age. I know I should have told someone sooner, becasue now I don't get picked on at all. All you have to do to stop the situation i... (more »)

Bree0 said...
Oct. 27 at 1:44 pm:
I kind of went through the same thing and I always thought that there was something wrong with me. Theres not there is nothing wrong with me. I just prefer the same gender. I thought no one wounld understand but after a while people started being alot more nice about my prefrences.

Sev_Wymer replied...
Nov. 3 at 2:18 pm :
They dont have the right to judge you for what you believe in.

alonebutstillsurvivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 13 at 10:44 am:
It is about time we stand up for EVERYONE, not just those who are "Normal". Be proud of who you are! I am tortured on a daily basis because I am unsure about my sexuality, but I just try to keep my head up and stay positive.

Asuna replied...
Oct. 20 at 10:11 pm :
this comment...is perfect...

CosbinoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 21 at 6:01 pm :
I completely agree. I'm straight, but I've been harrassed due to my metrosexuality. This world, this society, needs to grow up and realize that what we need at this moment is equality. I'm so thankful that the generation I am growing up with is ready to make a move. 

PoojaGrg said...
Oct. 12 at 1:46 am:
I'm bisexual myself and when i first came out (which was last year)..I received a lot of hate; both online and in real life but its better now. I wish I could tell my parents and my cousins but they're all pretty much very narrow-minded and wouldnt accept my orientation.

lourdezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 26 at 3:56 pm:
is kind of mean os people gossiping about others race

Zarie2015 said...
Sep. 23 at 3:30 pm:
No matter what people say always keep your head up. Sexuality is no one else's business. You have the right to say nothing when some one is asking you a question

lourdezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 26 at 3:57 pm :
that is right no talking abut others if u dont know the whole story

alonebutstillsurvivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 13 at 10:45 am :
I agree!!!

Hopelessly-RomanticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 16 at 1:27 pm:
I have to say that I liked your writing. I hate how if people don't like the fact that you gay, they are rude and hateful. Even though I believe that being gay is wrong I still treat people with respect because no one deserves to be treated so cruely. But now homosexualism is so common that not many people say its wrong... because if you say that being gay is wrong, you are hating them. but the truth is that i love all people which is why it's hard for me to say that them being a homosex... (more »)

Dimitri.V said...
Sep. 9 at 11:41 am:
This story is great, you are a strong person

The_Book_ThiefThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 13 at 3:09 pm:
I applaud your honesty and courage, and your writing skill.

Jackpot-the-Great said...
Jun. 14 at 7:46 am:
*starts claping*   Bravo. Bravo. This is great.

Lexi777 said...
Jun. 3 at 7:17 pm:
I love this article! 

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26 at 11:26 pm:
Way to go! My friend had to deal with the same thing when he came out to the public. A lot of people rejected him, and he didn't let that stop him. Now, he's so proud. I can't even tell you how proud he is. But way to go! I love how you wrote this; it's so heartfelt but also straight to the point.

dmax108 said...
May 6 at 11:09 am:
hey poster i want to talk to u