Athlete or Not? | Teen Ink

Athlete or Not?

By Gerardo Vera BRONZE, Houston,TX, Texas
Gerardo Vera BRONZE, Houston,TX, Texas

If you want to be the best, you begin somewhere where people can see your talent and not just hear your say. Students attending school mention that they have the talent to play sports, but when it comes to tryouts, they’ll wish those words never came out their mouth. Here in the wonderful 9, becoming a General includes a  huge responsibility of having the perfect talent. So, many talented students that sometimes end up playing sports for the school, but what do I mean by sometimes. Half of those freshman go live the life of an athlete while the others just stay with the desperation of becoming a recognized sports person.For example,being in the the Freshman soccer team wasn’t the experience I expected, but things happen.There wasn’t many students trying out for the team, interviewing a few students and finding out why this happen.The responses weren’t really good things,this is what I heard “I didn’t know when tryouts were”, yeah right what an excuse. Another one was “When and where was the physical due,” but what was surprising is that he never asked somebody.These answers kept going but eventually I got frustrated of hearing responses from the irresponsible students. Probably one day the students will learn that if you want to become an athlete you’ll start from the bottom or high school.Hopefully next year students will let out their spirit for the game or the sport they adore. Being involved with school activities can

get you far and probably a seat in a university.    

Furthermore, students should be more involved in the clubs offered here, than just saying that there are. And always remember “Actions are greater than Words.”