I Pledge Allegiance | Teen Ink

I Pledge Allegiance

By CatherineH. BRONZE, Psh, Whatevs, Stalker Website, Arizona
CatherineH. BRONZE, Psh, Whatevs, Stalker Website, Arizona

"I was the arty girl, the theatre chick. I dressed differently and I came from a different social class from the other girls." -Lady Gaga

“I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which is stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.” This was the United States Pledge of Allegiance in 1892, when it first appeared. Obviously, it had since gone through numerous changes. The most recent, and by far the most controversial and debatable is the 1954 addition of ‘under God.’ ‘Under God’ should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance because of constitutional law, religious diversion, and its near-totalitarian message.
‘Under God’ should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance because of constitutional law. In the United States, there are bills and amendments to keep government and religion separate entities. For example, the First Right is freedom of speech, which also states that citizens cannot be forced to say anything. There is also a constitutional separation of church and state. This is, however, violated in many ways, including people swearing on a bible in court, along with Presidents swearing in on a copy.
‘Under God’ should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance because of religious diversion. Though Christians make up a majority of Americans, there are still many different belies in the U.S. There are Americans who believe in many gods, and still more that don’t believe in any God at all. Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, agnostics, and many more are seen in the U.S. Though less prevalent than Christians, should they still be ignored?
‘Under God’ should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance because of its near-totalitarian message. When ‘under God’ was added in 1954, it was originally done to differentiate the United States from communism, or more specifically the U.S.S.R.’s state atheism. However in most schools the pledge is said every morning by impressionable students. On many occasions, students have been punished or removed from class for not saying it in its entirety, often leading to lawsuits. It seems that instead of separating itself form the Soviet Union’s state-wide beliefs, the United States has become more alike to it.
‘Under God’ should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance because of constitutional law, religious diversion, and its near-totalitarian message. This pledge, having endured so many rewrites and changes it is merely a shadow of its old self, never needed to be changed. It never should have gone through those 60 years of nearly endless ‘makeovers’ and revisions, because it had the same message in the first, simpler, and less argument raising original edition.

I wrote this essay on an issue that I've heard all around. Best case scenario, I hope this essay will help the argument against the pledge.