Top Ten Games of 2009 | Teen Ink

Top Ten Games of 2009

By Zevii BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia
Zevii BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia

Video games are something that every kid no matter how old or young enjoy. Even some adults play them time to time. Last year over 1,000 new video games were released from several different companies. However, 10 of those games were the most played, most bought, most demanded games of 2009. Making them the top 10 game of 2009.

10th on the list for the top 10 video games is was Uncharted 2. The game plot is based off of a artifact hunter, Nathan Drake, who is after the secret of Marco Polo’s lost fleet. The game takes an incredible amount of fisticuffs, gunplay, and problem-solving to find it. The hunt will take you to unbelievable epic settings, one after another. Each seeming to top the one before it.: jungle ruins, mountaintops, Tibetan cities. If you thought that was it, you were wrong! Because the writing and voice acting are much above the par for any video game. Seriously though. Anybody that was disappointed by the last Indiana Jones movie - pretty much everbody- should go ahead and try out Uncharted 2 instead.

Most sequals to games are pretty much creative flops or cheap makeovers of the originals. But not Assassin’s Creed 2, placing 9th on the list for the top 10 games of 2009. This follow up to the 2007 smash hit is smarter, more polished version, with visually stunning back grounds. While the game might look beautiful the game play has been tweaked for the ultimate open-world RPG experience. There is even more assassinating, jumping from rooftop to rooftop and history lessons, with an

Emphasis on renaissance art. Most commentary say “Leonardo would be proud, except for the cheesy Italian voice-overs.”

Just as it was starting to like like the Halo franchise was played out, it took a sharp turn upwards with it’s release of Halo 3: ODST which placed 8th on our list. You no longer play the superpowered Master Chief; instead, you play, serially, the members of a squad of comparatively vulnerable Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. The squad is lost and scattered through the ruins of New Mombasa, on a secret mission the point of which its members are only gradually figuring out. It's a dark, slow, jazzy, hard-boiled take on the Halo world — think Master Chief as Philip Marlowe.

The developers of Scribblenauts must have been bored when something inspired them to think out side of the box. Placing 7th on the list, Scribblenauts presents you with play with one objective through every level. Your quest is to capture the Starite, and you're allowed to bring in help. Think a stapler or a dinosaur or a wizard can assist you in your quest? Simply type in the name of your chosen ally, and, poof!, it appears. As your vocabulary grows, so does your potential army of allies

Claiming sixth place on the list was Geo-Defense Swarm, a rich, fast-paced, visually stunning take on the tower-defense genre. Tricked out with neon-glowing candy colors that show off the iPhone's ridiculously overpowered display, Swarm is a little masterpiece of interface design, balanced game play and clever level design.
Welcome back, Mario! We all missed you. That’s right, 5th place goes to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However the story isn’t much different from the usual story line. It involves, yet again,

4th is Borderlands. Pandora is a down-and-dirty mining planet that resembles a trashed, irradiated version of the American Wild West. Your job is to scour that landscape in search of the Vault, a semilegendary cache of technology and wealth. This mostly involves collecting an astounding variety of bad-ass guns and tooling around in funky dune-buggy-type vehicles with really bouncy suspensions while blowing away deranged and mutated bad guys. Borderlands is a marvel of hybrid game design: you add levels and skills as in a role-playing game, but you're doing it in a sandbox-style open world while engaging in run-and-gun first-person-shooter combat. Add in astounding graphics and wickedly clever writing, and you have something that's about as close as you can get to a perfect game.

In a world of wannabe rock bands — enough already with the rehashed songs from yesteryear — DJ Hero, coming in 3rd, offers a welcome change. With an incredible sound track of exclusive mixes and some lush nightclub graphics, DJ Hero is the new contender for best party game. True, it feels a bit awkward at first to be hunched over a plastic faux turntable, but once you start scratching and mixing, you'll quickly fall into the groove. And where else could you blend Blondie with a mix of the Gorillaz or Daft Punk with Queen?

The ghoulish Joker may never scare movie audiences again, but the struggle between good and evil rages on with Batman: Arkham Asylum, snatching 2nd which picks up right where Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight left off. Gotham's savior finds himself trapped in Arkham Asylum, surrounded by every deviant he's ever put away — with the Joker at the helm. Unlike earlier video-game adaptations of the DC Comics hero, Arkham Asylum is the total package, with compelling story lines and a kick-butt combat system. Of course, you'll have to supply your own cape.

Stealing 1st by a long run in Modern Warfare 2. This is a game that sends a message: Video games have something intelligent to say about contemporary military conflicts. In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you hop around the globe, chasing the front lines of globalized, asymmetrical combat, where not everybody wears uniforms, war isn't always declared, and the battlefield isn't clearly marked — battles rage through suburbs, airports and people's living rooms. There's tons of raw, riveting military action in Modern Warfare 2, but it's very much about how the game has changed: limiting civilian casualties and figuring out whom to fight and why are just as important as staying alive.

These are the top 10 games of 2009. They’re all very fun and exciting but don’t take my word for it. Go out and try them for yourself!

What inspired me to write this piece? Well I love games, just like many other kids and asked my self "Why dont I write about this?". Before I knew it I had written an article on the Top Ten Games of 2009